Procedure - Lab Results

bapajan wrote on Tuesday, January 03, 2012:

Hi,
How does one enter the lab results manually? While the doctor recommends the patient for a procedure which could be done only outside the facility, after the procedure the patient brings the result and this need to captured. Is there a way to manually enter the results? Or the only other way is to capture through physician notes?
Thank you.

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, January 03, 2012:

hi,

See documentation here:
http://open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_4.1_Users_Guide#Supplementary_Topics
(the ‘Procedure configuration & order process’ section)

-brady

bapajan wrote on Tuesday, January 03, 2012:

Thank you for the pointer.
Regards

afase wrote on Sunday, April 08, 2012:

Configuring the Diagnostic Lab & Orders module is said to be highly technical. If it cannot be explained, how can I get someone to do it for me?

Thanks in anticipation.

bradymiller wrote on Sunday, April 08, 2012:

Hi,

Check out the following docs in the online wiki user manual (Procedure configuration & order process in the Supplementary Topics section): http://open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_4.1_Users_Guide#Supplementary_Topics

If your looking to hire somebody to do it, there is a listing of professional support on the wiki:
http://open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Professional_Support

thanks,
-brady

arnabnaha wrote on Sunday, April 08, 2012:

Hi brady…
Is there any way to print the patient procedure result like the way we print the medical records? Suppose, a patient went through a complete hemogram and the test were done in my lab. The lab results were noted in the openemr. Now the patient wants a copy of it. How am i I supposed to give the lab results to the patients??

juggernautsei wrote on Friday, July 06, 2012:

arnabnaha:

I am a little late on the scene with this question. I am doing some lab research and ran across this question. Did you get an answer to this question?

Sherwin

jbroque wrote on Wednesday, January 16, 2013:

Dear Brady,
I have 4.1.1 (9) and I still cant setup the Lab module. I have tried following the instructions step by step, but I just cant go past creating a lab. I am using an inhouse Lab… please assist on this.
I was able to configure the Procedure successfully, made the procedure order, but on trying to enter the lab results, I seem not to get anywhere past this.
Please assist
Jeffrey

blankev wrote on Sunday, March 31, 2013:

It seems as something is broken again in Procedure in the latest Development Demo version.

Can’t find any Tests asked for in Procedures =>Pending Review.

It did work in previous version of somewhere in the past.

I want to input the result of the tests in the asked for tests.

Tnx for any advise.

Pimm

Is there anybody working on procedures? I would like to give some practical input for future development of this potentially great extra for OpenEMR.

Anybody?

I am working on a CSV file for import, but it does not give any option for input of resluts also the way ask for a group of tests for a patient seems to be rather clumsy.

Also Import through Load through Pathgroup LCC and other does not seem to work. 

Please advise.

Ok, it helps to read the manual!

Now I can input results. Leaves me with more problems than solutions but I can do something with the received results.

sunsetsystems wrote on Sunday, March 31, 2013:

Glad you are making progress.  For any bugs encountered, it’s good to give very explicit steps to reproduce, and perhaps also to set up the situation on the development demo site.  There’s quite a bit of new work in this area and it will take some time to mature.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

fsgl wrote on Sunday, March 31, 2013:

It is cheaper ( $0 extra) if your staff adds the lab results to the patient’s chart.  A quick way to do it is to go->Patient Info Screen->Documents->Medical Record & upload.  It is a good idea to have a descriptive name and date for the file for easy retrieval in future.  The nice thing about this module is that the file can be encrypted on the spot in the event you want to securely transmit the file to a colleague.  This requires minimal computer skills so even the receptionist can do it.  It works well if you are not dealing with a sea of lab results.

The other method is to create a Nation Note form just for scanned documents to be placed in the body of that particular
visit.  I don’t suggest this method because retrieval is far too cumbersome.  5 years from now, will you remember that the Echocardiogram you want to look at again, is buried somewhere in the notes from 4 1/2 years ago?  If you have not gotten the hang of Layout Based Visit forms yet, this would be a deterence.

If you have not attested to Meaningful Use yet, bear in mind, that when you do, the Automatic Measure Calculations will not show a numerator because of the manual entry.  Have staff keep a log of this activity so there won’t be a mad dash to find the missing stuff at the time of attestation.

Dear fsgl and Rod,

YES, I do this exercise on the Demo version developer latest. The problem is I have to do it so quick that the Automatic reload every morning in place won’t erase all my efforts.

No, I don’t use a local copy of the Demo Developer site, might be stupid, but that is the way I try to make progress in something I don’t understand.

I will follow both your advises.

Tnx.

bradymiller wrote on Sunday, March 31, 2013:

Hi Pimm,

Thanks for your testing and reporting perseverance :slight_smile:
It is hugely appreciated.

-brady
OpenEMR

mdsupport wrote on Sunday, March 31, 2013:

Current interface does not allow a procedure order without encounter.  If one wants to enter results of tests ordered externally, they have to create an encounter (which never happened), create procedure order (which was never issued) and then enter the results.

We are looking at recording patient / lab reports without associating provider from Patient Results link. 
Does anyone see downstream problems with it?

On a side note, it is unclear why procedure orders use patient_id instead of pid like rest of the project!

mdsupport wrote on Sunday, March 31, 2013:

* without associating provider and encounter from Patient Results link…

sunsetsystems wrote on Sunday, March 31, 2013:

It should be reasonable to tweak the system so that a procedure order can have no associated encounter (i.e. encounter ID = 0).  Likewise it should be possible to enhance processing of incoming electronic results to create missing orders on-the-fly as needed.  These are things not yet funded.

There must be an order associated with results, as that contains necessary header information - and there’s no reason it can’t represent a manually/externally placed order.

There is precedent for using patient_id as a column name.  It does reference patient_data.pid.  Not sure what you mean by “without associating provider and encounter from Patient Results link”.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

mdsupport wrote on Monday, April 01, 2013:

Rod,
It was just correction to prior message - procedure orders for patient reported and/or unsolicited procedures will have encounter=0 as you indicated in your response in addition to provider=0.
Thx.