openEMR to Mirth as a HL7 Message

I am Job Seeker learning Mirth and Looking for help

I am new to Mirth and openEMR, got a POC where I have installed openEMR and myPHP Admin through XAMPP. I have some dummy data in openEMR. This data needs to export to mirth in HL7 message format.

Is it possible to extract patient data as HL7 message format and use in mirth. If possible how to do that. Please help me in this.

Yes it is possible but what is the purpose?

apologies for the additional questions. are you looking for the processes that are already built?

Apologies for late reply. Yes I have installed openEMR, PHPMyAdmin and Mirth in Windows 10 64 bit and trying to extract ADT messages.

Now I am able to extract data from openEMR using Database Reader.

But I am not able to convert this SQL format data into ADT message. Is it possible to convert SQL data in to HL7 ADT messages?

Please let me know if you need more information on this.

Thanks,
Premananda

You are going to have to write a script to format your data into HL7. Look in the interface/reports/immunization_report.php You will find an example of mapping data to HL7 segments. You will have to know what data goes in which segment in order to map the data.

Do you expect @juggernautsei to type ADT for you in the searchbox?

I am new to openemr and mirth. How do I get mirth to read lab order forms and send results.
Also which free LIS would you recommend?

Ok, I am going to say this again. You do not need mirth. OpenEMR can send and receive HL7.

2 Likes

Hi Sherwin, I know bit late in this thread but its a start. Does openemr out of the box come with an outbound HL7 interface I can broadcast from? Where is this enabled / configured within openemr and is there a default port?

openemr 6.1.0 docker image.

cheers

The HL7 code is mostly tide to a couple of process. Lab and Immunizations and a couple of other things. There is no interface for you to broadcast from. There is no default port. There is an HL7 viewer that can be found in the practice settings. You could copy that and make a broadcast tool out of it.

OK thx. Would you know of any available Mirth channels somebody has built that pole the DB based on triggers of care events? Long shot I know :slight_smile:

Long shot but no. Most things like that don’t get shared back to the community. Since the HL7 in the program has progressed so far. Mirth is really not needed. However, you can choose to use Mirth if you want to.

Understood, So how do you integrate using MLLP (IP and Port) and seek messages or like you say I need to build something of my own and read off the tables?

Have you tried Mirth FHIR extension?

What is this? Software or hardware.

Oh sorry this is the standard protocol used to transport HL7. A software interface is built as a broadcaster to pole the OEMR DB tables based on triggers or care events and translated into HL7 messages E.G. an A28 message for a patient registration or A01 for an admit. In order for multiple downstream systems to receive the same non duplicated demographic data. This is usually an integration engine (Mirth) to connect to (IP/PORT), receive and pass on to downstream systems. Hope this helps with my question.

Oh as I read on in install instructions I see FHIR API capability which is great. curl -X GET 'https://localhost:9300/apis/fhir/Patient

Good Day Sherwin,
Do you have an idea on how to setup openemr send and receive hl7 setup? If yes, may I know what are the steps? :slightly_smiling_face:

OpenEMR is only built to send and receive lab HL7 messages. There are two other places that use HL7. One is the immunization report. The other is the CDA.

okay. Can you please provide documentation on building OpenEMR to send and receive HL7 messages? Additionally, where can I find the HL7 sandbox in OpenEMR?