Open participation Electoral Board, OEMR 2016

aethelwulffe wrote on Thursday, December 24, 2015:

Proposed board meeting date: 2016Jan09, Saturday.

Prequel: Administer board eligibility and nomination survey to identify current members that (a) wish to maintain their directorship or (b) wish to use the opportunity to formerly resign. After due diligence, board members who have not replied to the survey should be considered to not be seeking re-election.

Agenda:

1. Review board members present. All incumbent members wishing to vote must attend the meeting to be considered part of the quorum. Members wishing to defer the meeting date or officially request consideration for retention must do so via the survey.
  2. Executive committee review of the by-laws dated 2010OCT10 respective to board terms and limits.
  3. General board member committee evaluation of board member and officer performance and attendance requirements to be included in bylaws and policies and procedures document draft.
  4. General board member elections by attending board members and voting member organizations.
  5. Election of officers.
  6. Schedule ways and means committee meeting.
  7. Schedule bylaw, policy and procedure document draft review meeting.

Please fill and submit your board membership nomination and eligibility form to secretary@oemr.org to apply as a new board member or post for re-election. http://starfrontiers.org/oemr/forms/BOD_survey.pdf
Please review the OEMR bylaws here: http://www.oemr.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/OEMR_2010-10-28_Bylaws.pdf

News Release: http://www.oemr.org/2015/12/23/oemr-board-of-…tions-upcoming/

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, December 24, 2015:

I would like to continue on the board.

Thanks Art!

–Tony McCormick

Thank you for your timely application. I am sure your candidacy will be strongly considered… :slight_smile:
I suppose I will go ahead and submit mine too… :expressionless:

robertovasquez wrote on Thursday, December 24, 2015:

How someone can become a member entited to vote? Pleae advice

cmswest wrote on Thursday, December 24, 2015:

http://www.oemr.org/membership_in_oemr/membership/ ?

sunsetsystems wrote on Thursday, December 24, 2015:

Interesting, I didn’t know I was a member. Do I get to vote?

Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

Yes…but unfortunately under the bylaws that voting membership is fuzzy. That is one of the first policies and procedures that needs to be attended to by the board.

Board meetings are open attendance to the limits of the conference line. There is nothing preventing (and hasn’t been in the past) the chair from recognize a vote by a contributing personal or corporate member, or anyone else for that matter of speaking. There are executive committee responsibilities that are determined or approved by that committee alone in the bylaws. Other than that, the quorum is what we make it…on a number of matters. Advisory committees are just that. Action committees can be comprised of anyone as well.
Here is the catch to having a general anyone and everyone democratic system (aside from the fact that it never really works without oversight): There is board liability. As in risk. Board members are going to have some level of personal responsibility, and there is risk management that we will need to address. That sort of poops on the “Oh, just anyone can say how we do things” approach.

I have already stated my opinion: OEMR needs to become a proper business entity with an ongoing work list, funding sources, and an active role. I feel that these functions should be determined and defined within the first quarter of 2016 by the elected board. To wit: there are going to be business decisions, policies and procedures to draft and approve, a lot of media presence goals and no small amount of budget and finance management to work out.
This year we need to move from a “gentleman hobbyist” role as an organization to a professional one. There will be (are) liabilities and risk management to address and serious roles for OEMR in developing and maintaining the status of OpenEMR as a certified ambulatory product. For businesses outside of the US, this may not be an important concern, but it is and will be for OEMR. This is not to say that there are not serious benefits from supporting this certification for interests outside of the US. The important issue is that this certification develops the desirability of the product in a very important market. This in turn drives investment.
There are in fact two major goals for OEMR this year:
1. Become a stable entity supporting the OpenEMR certification.
2. Take advantage of a currently undisclosed agent of opportunity with very high goals that requires Goal #1 to be achieved.

There are lots of questions to ask, like “does OEMR need a full time employee to actually get things done?” and “Should we try to disappear under the umbrella of Apache.org?”
These goals are not self-starters or self finishers. We, the board and directors-to-be are going to need to work and work hard this year…at the beginning of the year, no break in the middle, and not just at the end…risking failure…if you get what I mean.

Art

Roberto, submit the form from the links above to secretary@oemr.org. Please read the attached corporate bylaws as well :wink:

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, December 24, 2015:

In other 501c3 boards I have been on (current and in the past) the model varies. But the model I like is that if a dues paying member of the “club” shows up at a board meeting, then they get to have an opinion and vote on any actions put forward. Like Art says we need to decide how to decide early on the process :slight_smile:

–Tony
prez OEMR

cmswest wrote on Saturday, December 26, 2015:

i first thought that this was the annual meeting announcement, thanks for the clarification and your effort on this Art

cmswest wrote on Saturday, December 26, 2015:

maybe you’re referring to the annual meeting of members?

i’ve been on the board of my coop, rutlandcoop.com, and believe in the policy governance model that we’ve used to monitor organizational performance

http://www.carvergovernance.com/model.htm

aethelwulffe wrote on Saturday, December 26, 2015:

Ohhhh…so when we vote you on Mr. Stephen (yes, I got your application) then you get crammed onto the bylaws and P&P committee! Hoo-Rah!

aethelwulffe wrote on Saturday, December 26, 2015:

I have received (at this point) 8 expressions of interest. One to serve as a non-director on a target comittee, four completed applications, one “will send”, and two "I want to’s…and I guess the 9th which was a “how-do-I”.
If all who have submitted their application and those who intend to would also prepare (and send) a CV and a photo, that would be appreciated.

aethelwulffe wrote on Sunday, December 27, 2015:

For confirmation we have the following:
Name Intent survey CV Photo

Eaton Yes Yes Yes Yes
Cahn Resign No No No
McCormick Yes Yes Yes Yes
Galterio Yes Yes Yes Yes
Palanisami Yes Yes Yes Yes
Miller Yes Yes Yes Yes
Waite Yes Yes Yes No
Robert Down Yes Yes Yes No
Roberto Vasquez Yes Yes Yes Yes
Shameem Hameed Yes Yes (old) (old)
Jit Chawla Yes Yes No No

bradymiller wrote on Sunday, December 27, 2015:

Hi,

Would be nice to have a significant number of volunteers on the board(will help to mitigate conflict of interest in future when dispense funding). So if you are a volunteer on the project(in any way; development, translating, documentation, testing, etc.), please also feel free to nominate yourself.

Is there a maximum number for the board?

-brady

fsgl wrote on Sunday, December 27, 2015:

See attached.

fsgl wrote on Sunday, December 27, 2015:

What county is OEMR domiciled? See attached.

Catawba?

sunsetsystems wrote on Sunday, December 27, 2015:

I’m not looking for a board position (would like to see more OpenEMR users and volunteers in that role), but would like to be (continue as?) a voting member.

Rod

robertovasquez wrote on Monday, December 28, 2015:

robertovasquez wrote on Monday, December 28, 2015: