"Nothing to display" uploading a valid C-CDA file to Care Coordination for import

Situation
I created a patient record, and for testing immediately exported it from OpenEMR as a C-CDA record. I then deleted the patient record and wanted to ensure I could re-import it faithfully. The file is selected and uploaded under “Care Coordination” → “Import” → “CCDA or QRDA Cat I” but the section continues to say, “Nothing to display,” no new records appear there, and the expected icon to create a new patient record from this C-CDA does not appear. But-- when check under “Miscellaneous” → “New Documents”, the file is visible. Furthermore if I click on the file, it spawns a new browser tab with a good rendering of the C-CDA. But I have no option to finish importing this as a new patient record. If I can’t import a single test record, I can’t import numerous other real ones.

If, instead, I upload the file in “Care Coordination” → “Import” → “CCD”, then “Nothing to display” is replaced with a single for the patient record, but there is no icon visible to import as a new patient.

I also tried uploading other CCDA files from other sources that have been externally validated. In all cases, the file is received but importing as CCDA fails and “Nothing to display” remains.

I do not have the option to fall back to other formats besides CCDA.

In the logs for the uploaded file attempts, it looks like some UUID values are replaced with unprintable characters. The characters are normal in my copy, so the files are not corrupted on my side. I’m not sure if that is just a representational error in the logs or something else irrelevant, or, if it is a useful clue. (see below)

Hoping to find an answer such as, “such-and-such configuration setting needs to be confirmed or CCDA import breaks” or, “This version of OpenEMR cannot import CCDA files unless…” or “Even though your XML file is validated, it needs to be prepared by such-and-such method…”

OTOH, If the answer is, “This won’t work on the demo version,” an explanation why would be helpful (as I’m interested in how it all works) or an description of how to fix the configuration, would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit to add: Logged in as admin

OpenEMR Version
OpenEMR 7.0.2 Demo

Browser:
I’m using: Various (Firefox & chromium-based)

Search
I did find this older post but it does not solve my problem. Care Coordination - Nothing to display

Logs
REPLACE INTO documents SET `id` = '78', `uuid` = '??k2?F??BLm?a', `type` = '1', `size` = '34463', `date` = '2024-04-13 03:43:11', `url` = 'file:///var/www/localhost/htdocs/openemr/sites/default/documents/00/6982/9bcb6b31-fed3-4f53-b777-a3076e173b01', `mimetype` = 'text/xml', `owner` = '1', `docdate` = '2024-04-13', `hash` = '6e2d8e6727cb5ff7cd36413afacf02318a76500e3c332b98a979c6dd369e31a9ce8b9aa534d3eb01a4e50a2b083cd92e4aade4b51022e98dd7f2930c5c62dfec', `path_depth` = '2', `encrypted` = '1', `name` = 'CCDA_Escobar_Pablo_ccd_2024_04_13_012120.xml', `drive_uuid` = '??k1??OS?w?an;'

Hi @MSS1911 Welcome
Sorry you’re having problems but I’m going to try to help you but unsure I can get to it tonight.
Our export works well and the last I tested import it was working pretty well especially importing our own.
If you can post or send me an example ccda from a download in CCDA CCM.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I realize everyone here is a volunteer, and that my struggle is probably the result of a naive oversight on my part, and I really appreciate the help.

I had my first success at importing an example, validated, CCDA file from https://github.com/chb/sample_ccdas/blob/master/HL7%20Samples/CCD.sample.xml this morning, after the demo instance had apparently reset overnight. openEMR-generated xml files from today and yesterday still fail to be recognized as something “import-able.”

I have tried with three different xml files extracted from the ZIP that openEMR produces on export. I noticed that these files all fail external validator review (usually due to a combination of various values being null–trivial to fix by hand–but also due to missing elements which are harder for me to understand/fix).

I uploaded an example of a record I exported from the demo to https://pastebin.com/HdWXjCu1
Let me know if there’s an alternative way to post it that you’d prefer. I’m curious if you get the same result.

I wonder if, either some essential element of XML is missing from these failing files (because they fail validation), or, they are being filtered out based on some other modifiable criteria (i.e. like Adam_M’s 2019 question linked in my first post). Or maybe I was wrong to naively assume that the XML file alone should be sufficient (though it works for the CCD.sample.xml). I can’t ever rule out a problem between my hat and my keyboard!

looks like there’s a bug, trying this code change seems to fix it:

Pull Request

I saw that a fix was pushed for this into the current master branch. Thank you to all the contributors who worked on this!