Logo and Branding

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

I suggest a website designer that is used to doing work for software and community projects versus vendors that sell products…

sunsetsystems wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

Brady, Sena, Tony – makes sense to me.

Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

matthewvita wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

+1 for getting a new logo in place.

As some of you may know, I am working on an updated version of the OpenEMR website/wiki. The site is based off of modern mockups Robert put together ~2 years ago. However, the current OpenEMR logo does not fit at all with it (very awkward looking).

I’m not a designer, but I do know that the best logos are choosen from a set of various permutations of a general concept. Let’s let Robert supply us with variations of the latest logo concept and I’m sure we’ll pick a nice one!

For what it’s worth, I feel like we could play around with this version of the logo: https://sourceforge.net/p/openemr/discussion/202506/thread/298821a4/3c04/attachment/home-1.jpg

bradymiller wrote on Wednesday, June 15, 2016:

Hi Matthew end everybody else,

I also like that logo (again, though, I am admittedly graphically impaired).

To keep the project (both the website and logo) moving forward, recommend reaching out to the 2 designers that you were thinking of to get an idea of the pricing for the website/logo. Robert has other things going on (especially improving the user interface in OpenEMR) in addition to a dayjob, and since the community/board is willing to sponsor this, no reason to slow it down. Once you choose the designer, will then make sense to have Robert oversee this and will be good for your chosen designer to see Robert’s prior work to get an idea of what we have been thinking.

Am very excited to see the end product.

-brady
OpenEMR

matthewvita wrote on Wednesday, June 15, 2016:

@Brady: Sounds great. Will keep you updated on their responses.

visolveemr wrote on Wednesday, June 15, 2016:

Hello Brady & Team,

Please find few sample designs done by couple of ViSolve Engineers.

These are just samples to show you how it looks like on a high level and may lack clarity.

When we look at several popular Health IT products or even IT in general, there is less graphics/images and they have highlighted the brand name “TEXT” creatively and kept it very simple and the text itself stands out in most cases.

Whether these designs would be approved or not, we just wanted to let you it was done out of interest towards OpenEMR community and it is free work which requires no funding.

In case you like them or have any feedback, please share and we’d be happy to know.

Thanks,
ViSolve Team
Email: services@visolve.com

robertdown wrote on Wednesday, June 15, 2016:

Glad to see others are working on designs. However, I think these color and styles are quite a bit dated and reflect styles that existed upwards of 25-30 years ago. I do like the heart beat and have been working on trying to incorporate that idea into some of my deisgns.

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, June 16, 2016:

You guys are hysterically funny… no group of anarchist FOSS developers , much less doctors is ever going to agree on a logo, style or interface. :slight_smile:

Appoint a 2 person committe to the branding, give them a budget and let it happen. I’ve been thru this a dozen times with other non-profits, asking the community for their feedback on every variant just gets as many opinions as there are people.

–Tony “Been There Done That”

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, June 16, 2016:

Hi Tony,
I have faith that Matthew, the hired graphical designer, and Robert will come up with a very nice logo :slight_smile:
-brady

robertdown wrote on Thursday, June 16, 2016:

Thanks for the support, Tony. Thumbs up!

matthewvita wrote on Thursday, June 23, 2016:

Update: Still reaching out to my connections. Primary one is super booked, so he is recommending other freelancers.

fr4nkie wrote on Friday, June 24, 2016:

Host a competition, let a bunch of designers give their impression, then we can all vote to choose a winner.

Had the logo for our practice done here…

https://www.logoarena.com/

mdsupport wrote on Saturday, June 25, 2016:

Never knew this option! +1.

bradymiller wrote on Saturday, June 25, 2016:

Hi,

Since we are already hiring a designer to design the web page, it makes more sense to pursue a logo with the same designer at this time. But this will be excellent option if we are unable to get a acceptable logo via the designer (which I doubt will be an issue).

-brady
OpenEMR

robertdown wrote on Saturday, June 25, 2016:

I agree with Brady, might as well knock everything out in one go

matthewvita wrote on Wednesday, June 29, 2016:

Update: Having a call with a potential designer tonight.

fr4nkie wrote on Thursday, June 30, 2016:

If you’d like me to spnosor the logo competition, I’d be happy to. I really think that’s the best bet in the spirit of open source. Why have one or two people choose the design when we can use the competition to organize our thoughts as a group?

fr4nkie wrote on Thursday, June 30, 2016:

Also a money back guarantee on the logo competition, so if we collectively hate it, we don’t have to use it and aren’t obligated to pay.

bradymiller wrote on Friday, July 01, 2016:

Hi Frankie,

The OEMR organization is hiring a graphical designer for the website, so we requested to also design a logo at the same time (which will maintain style/theme with the website and the logo). If the logo doesn’t work out, then could go the logo competition route (again, though, I am confident that Matthew and Robert will end up with something nice).

-brady
OpenEMR

matthewvita wrote on Sunday, July 03, 2016:

Update: OEMR approved the designer I recommended and the budget for website design/corresponding logo.

I am on a much needed vacation this week and the designer is on one next week. We both agreed to bring our laptops for our respective vacations and to keep in contact to start planning out all of the design elements and implementation details, however.