Logo and Branding

robertdown wrote on Sunday, May 15, 2016:

If we plan on applying for grants, it is time we to develop a brand: This begins with a logo. I found a website that aids in this process. You punch in your info and have access to several of their logo types – you pick what fits, tinker a bit, and then purchase.

I have attached 2 designs I’ve worked on for review and input. I can change fonts, colors, and individual components of the logo along with alignments and size. The website didn’t provide alignment tools at a caliber I’d prefer but that’s not a problem as I can bring in the vector files into Illustrator and just line everything up. We could even just purchase 1 of these and then modify to have a horizontal and vertical styles

It is only $99 to purchase the high quality vector files and we then own the rights to the logo (free to modify, print, use, even apply for a trademark). I think this is a good way to go, $99 is beyond reasonable for a logo.

Constructive criticism welcomed.

blankev wrote on Sunday, May 15, 2016:

Would it be possible to include the shining sun as a background? For me OpenEMR is the “shining sun in the dark sky”, a sign of this medical product shines wherever in this world, at night or during the day time. OEMR is the bright sunshine!

robertdown wrote on Sunday, May 15, 2016:

Logos should be simple, clean, and generally without backgrounds. I
think it is best to keep the OpenEMR logo and the OEMR logo separate as
they are two different products (one being software, the other being a
non-profit).

Here is an page of some great non profit logos:
https://topnonprofits.com/lists/best-nonprofit-logos/

tmccormi wrote on Monday, May 16, 2016:

Here is what I have been using.

I also have a full size pop up convention banner …

robertdown wrote on Monday, May 16, 2016:

I wasn’t even aware this existed. Looking it over I think it is time we
consider a new brand identity.

Feedback from other board members would be appreciated

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, May 17, 2016:

Hi,

Agreed on pursuing a new modern brand identity for OEMR organization(which will go along with a new oemr.org website). Would be nice to have several more example of logos, if possible. I am graphically impaired, so will be good to get others feedback on the logos.

-brady

robertovasquez wrote on Wednesday, May 18, 2016:

Hi forum
The shinning sun’ logo remember me to the IIWW. Will be nice to have a cheerful logo.

robertdown wrote on Sunday, June 12, 2016:

Here is a comp for the OpenEMR logo. Since we are in the process of updating the website, I think we should begin discussing the OpenEMR logo. I’m aware this involves updating the trademark, and I think I can make a strong argument that it is well worth it.

This logo tries to keep the starburst effect from the previous logo while still providing some simplicity. Colors were chosen as warm, inviting, and inclusive. The font I used is called Charger Pro and is an open source font, something I felt was important (https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/charger-pro).

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

Hi,

This looks good to me, but I am a bit impaired on the graphical side :slight_smile:

Would be great to get opinions from the rest of the folks in the community on following:

1. Should OpenEMR upgrade it’s logo?
  2. Provide input on above logo comp?

thanks,
-brady
OpenEMR

harleytuck wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

It is attractive but strikes me as more ‘digital techno’ than ‘analog healthcare’.

• HT

sunsetsystems wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

For now I vote for keeping the current logo. While I think Robert’s is better, there is a PR cost to rebranding and would prefer to hold out for one that we all love with no reservations.

Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

robertdown wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

I have plenty of reservations about the current logo. It is certainly far from “all love”

The inspiration behind the logo is a radiating “O” with yellow beams behind a blue sky. Trying to keep the “starburst” concept while fixing the technical issues with the previous logo

blankev wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

I would prefer to change the text into:

OpenEMR where the “O” and “EMR” in Capitals

Would it be an option to change the colors into the main colors of todays logo: Dark blue and Silver Gold". Although the orange and blue of the new logo seem to adhere to moderns standard it also gives me the feeling of popcorn, drive-in movies and rolarblade service.

If you look back at the BOSSIE 2013 award the author actually says that the product would be usable if you hired someone to fix the front end. There is a cost to PR both ways, we leave it alone and keep putting potential users off by the current logo and old style, or we push forward with the new logo and show a clean user experience with an actual logo. I worked hard (and still am) on giving OpenEMR a facelift with regards to UI/UX because as it stood, I wouldn’t have suggested OpenEMR to clients without a new theme. Now that we do have a new theme, the next step is to solidify our brand by creating a proper logo. OEMR is in the process of a new website and logo design, the OpenEMR website is getting a facelift, is makes sense to go ahead and update the OpenEMR logo.

There’s no good way to make this not sound harsh via a forum, but “PR cost” in my opinion, is not a good enough reason to keep the current logo. There are more benefits to a new logo that outweigh the minimal PR cost, and continued loss of potential customers to the product.

sunsetsystems wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

I agree and really appreciate your efforts but would like to see a graphic artist take a whack at the logo. Does OEMR have any money for that? Would be nice it it has a “medical” look in some way.

Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

The board has allocated some funds for the OEMR logo. We’ve not yet set aside any funds for the OpenEMR logo. I have a couple of other ideas, will post in the near future.

My free time is a bit limited right now, I was in the city of Orlando EOC last night for 8 hours and will be taking time off from work on Thursday to be back at EOC for what will assuredly be a long day as President Obama arrives in Orlando.

harleytuck wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

I’m not arguing against updating the logo. It’s just that if we’re trying to make OpenEMR appealing to healthcare users I believe the logo should have ‘analog’ design elements that reflect human healing sensibilities. I visualize those as involving gradual transitions between colors and forms that evoke natural phenomena. The logo proposed above has discrete sharp edged elements not seen in nature, that to my mind appeal more to digital technological sensibilities.

• HT

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

Hi,

Sounds like we are heading towards a new logo. An option here to take work off Robert’s plate and keep the momentum would be the following:

1. Matthew is nearing the time where he requires a graphical designer for the new open-emr.org website that he is working on and he already has several professional graphical designers picked out, if needed.
  2. Ideally, the OEMR board was hoping to get above website done at no cost and Robert and Visolve offered to help in this regard. However, rather than Visolve and Robert helping Matthew, OEMR could instead sponsor a graphical designer to help with both the website and the logo. This would be ideal, because then the graphical designer would have more appreciation/background for the project when taking on the logo.
  3. The OEMR board made it clear that would be willing to fund this if needed (guessing costs for the website and logo will be from $500-1000).

thoughts?

-brady

visolve1995 wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

Brady,

I was going to send a similar mail - A graphics professional should do the
logo
and the flow of the web pages and I agree with your views that we should
outsource this
to some good graphics designers. I may be able to fund some $$ if it is
costing OpenEMR little more
than what you are suggesting here.

-Sena

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Brady Miller bradymiller@users.sf.net
wrote:

Hi,

Sounds like we are heading towards a new logo. An option here to take work
off Robert’s plate and keep the momentum would be the following:

1. Matthew is nearing the time where he requires a graphical designer for
    the new open-emr.org website that he is working on and he already has
    several professional graphical designers picked out, if needed.
  2. Ideally, the OEMR board was hoping to get above website done at no cost
    and Robert and Visolve offered to help in this regard. However, rather than
    Visolve and Robert helping Matthew, OEMR could instead sponsor a graphical
    designer to help with both the website and the logo. This would be ideal,
    because then the graphical designer would have more appreciation/background
    for the project when taking on the logo.
  3. The OEMR board made it clear that would be willing to fund this if
    needed (guessing costs for the website and logo will be from $500-1000).

thoughts?

-brady

Logo and Branding
https://sourceforge.net/p/openemr/discussion/oemr_501c3/thread/d88196ad/?limit=25#bdd4

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
https://sourceforge.net/p/openemr/discussion/oemr_501c3/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/