Logo and Branding

sunsetsystems wrote on Sunday, July 03, 2016:

Awesome. :slight_smile:

matthewvita wrote on Saturday, July 16, 2016:

Update: Talked to Len (designer). He is fine with payment at project completion. Will be back from his vacation early next week.

matthewvita wrote on Friday, July 22, 2016:

Update: Had a meeting with Len the designer (who is back in town). We reviewed 3 major items (homepage content, homepage layout/look+feel, and new logo) which are described in detail below.

HOME PAGE CONTENT

Description

OpenEMR is the most popular open source electronic health records and medical practice management solution. OpenEMR is certified and is used all over the world, benefiting millions of patients. With the goal of making OpenEMR a superior alternative to its proprietary counterparts, passionate volunteers, contributors, and OEMR.org 501Ā©3 are dedicated to guarding OpenEMRā€™s status as a free, open source software solution for medical practices with a commitment to openness, kindness and cooperation.

Healthcare Open Source Software

Open source software has changed the world for the better. OpenEMR is the leader in the healthcare open source software space. Expensive proprietary EMRs are no longer the only option.

Our vibrant community is what fuels this high-impact project. Contributions arenā€™t limited to just doctors and programmers, please hop over to our active projects page to start contributing today!

Features

• Web-based
  • Hostable on-site or in the cloud
  • Customization
  • Data ownership
  • Over 30 supported languages
  • Patient Demographics
  • Patient Scheduling
  • E-Prescribing
  • Patient Portal
  • Clinical Decision Support
  • Electronic Medical Records
  • Prescriptions
  • Medical Billing
  • Clinical Decision Rules
  • Patient Portal
  • Reports
  • Free and Commercial support

Certifications

ONC Ambulatory EHR Certified (http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Wiki_Home_Page#2011_ONC_Ambulatory_EHR_Certification)

Non-profit Backing

OEMR is a non-profit (501Ā©(3)) organization formed to ensure that all people, regardless of race, socioeconomic status or geographic location, have access to high-quality medical care through the donation of free, open source medical software and service relating to that software.

OEMR supports the OpenEMR project and uses OpenEMR software as the primary instrument to effect its goals.

Commercial Support

30 vendors in over 10 countries

Notable Users

• Peace Corps
  • IPPF (International Planned Parenthood Federation)
  • Siaya District Hospital in Kenya

Donation Request

OpenEMR is in urgent need of funding for the Meaningful Use Stage II Certification. Please consider a gift today. Learn more about Meaningful Use Stage II here.

HOME PAGE LAYOUT & LOOK AND FEEL

• The recent snapshots of the new navigation bar look good to Len.
  • The footer should be expanded to have ā€œsitemapā€ style links for important links. Microsoftā€™s site is one such example.
  • The carosel slides should be more ā€œadā€ likeā€¦ not literal ads, but short one sentence callouts (picture of doctors office holding an ipad with Robertā€™s latest OpenEMR theme shown, notable features, donation request, etc). If there is more information to show, a ā€œread moreā€¦ā€ button/link should be appended.
  • Layout:
    • Navbar
    • Carosel
    • Description
    • 3 point callouts (non profit backing, notable users, certifications)
    • Rows of divs that highlight features, how to contribute, etc
    • Footer with sitemap
  • Rows of divs that highlight features can have fancy stock photo backdrops or just colors that work well with each other and the logo colors.
  • Rows of divs should be the about the same height
  • ā€œHelpā€ section for users should be present in footer sitemap
  • Can strategically break up the footer sitemap to highlight more important links with a different shade/color background
  • 3 point callouts have more margin when on mobile to make them look different than the ā€œrows of divsā€ below.

Len is working on mockups while Matthew works out where the content should go. Matthew is to think about stock photo selection.

NEW LOGO

Len has reviewed the logo thread and has identified the logo Robert made a couple of years ago to be the best one. He is currently playing around with the fonts and the colors. He wishes to incorporate some of the colors and spirit of the previous logo into the new logo.

matthewvita wrote on Saturday, July 30, 2016:

Update: I am pleased to share Lenā€™s initial ideas with the new logo. The attachment lists his concepts with a brief description. He would like to have feedback on which logo the community and board would like to go with as it will affect the styling of the new web site.

I personally like logos 1 and 3 but am looking forward to hearing othersā€™ input!

bradymiller wrote on Saturday, July 30, 2016:

Hi Community,

Please weigh in on the new logo options that Matthew posted. Need input in order to move forward on this.

I like them all. I am also looking forward to see which one(s) the community chooses.

-brady

gowepp wrote on Saturday, July 30, 2016:

We vote to Logo 1 and Logo 2.

Regards,
Wepp Team

sunsetsystems wrote on Saturday, July 30, 2016:

Of the ones presented I like 1c. I agree with Robertā€™s comment at the start of this thread that backgrounds should be avoided. 1c is nice partly because it has only 3 colors. I donā€™t like the colors in 1 as well, and also the green underscore seems to add clutter with no purpose.

That said, I get the sense that the designer is taking the ā€œsafeā€ route of giving us stuff similar to what was already considered. It would be nice to also see something original and including a medical theme which all of these lack. Just a thought, I am happy to go with the consensus.

Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

robertdown wrote on Saturday, July 30, 2016:

Some feedback.

I really disliek 3 and 4, too abstract for the medical field.

Think we should definitely not incorprate an ā€œiconā€ style logo, best practices would keep us away from that. If we need an icon logo we can add the background, but it should not be part of it.

As for 1, 1b, and 1c, I dislike all the color schemes, none of the schemes seem to go together.

matthewvita wrote on Sunday, July 31, 2016:

Thank you Brady, Wepp Team, Rod, and Robert for voicing your constructive thoughts!

For the purposes of moving forward on the website design portion of the work, it seems like the consensus here would be to go with Logo 1 minus the green underline under the ā€œoā€.

Robert has volunteered to provide some advice to the designer on improving the logo even more.

@Rod: Yes, the ā€œsafeā€ route was actually a feature because I noticed a lot of folks are passionate about preserving the spirit of the current logo. In the style of MVP, Iā€™d like to run with logo 1 (with Robertā€™s improvements) and focus on getting the web design in place. We can work with Len on putting together a more medical logo after the new site is up. Does this work for you?

Thanks,
Matthew

sunsetsystems wrote on Sunday, July 31, 2016:

Hi Matthew, sounds good to me. Thanks for your work on this.

Rod

epsdky wrote on Sunday, July 31, 2016:

It seems to me that the first three options are similar to the OpenMRS logo.

robertdown wrote on Sunday, July 31, 2016:

I think they are distinct enough. OpenMRS has 4 shapes, this has 3. And the actual shapes are markedly different.

wakie87 wrote on Sunday, July 31, 2016:

I also like logo 1 without the green underline.

visolveemr wrote on Monday, August 01, 2016:

Hi All,
Glad to see the new logos for OpenEMR. But a bit curious to know what the logo represents with healthcare/OpenEMR?

Thanks
OpenEMR Customization/Support Team,
ViSolve Inc

robertdown wrote on Monday, August 01, 2016:

When I was working on this concept originally, the idea was to have the 3 parts of the circle represent technology, healthcare, and community perpetually pushing each other to better outcomes.

visolveemr wrote on Tuesday, August 02, 2016:

Hi Robert,
Thanks for respondingā€¦!

Thanks,
ViSolve OpenEMR Support Team
ViSolve

robertdown wrote on Wednesday, August 03, 2016:

Our designer has taken our feedback. Here is round 2 - the only difference here is the font choice.

Important Note

It seems SourceForge did some weirdness to the color of this image when viewing inline, please download to see the proper imgae.

sunsetsystems wrote on Wednesday, August 03, 2016:

I like it! Mild preference for the second one. I think it would also work without the left part.

Rod

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, August 04, 2016:

Hi,
Also like it. The left part is useful to have for favicons/social site id pic.
-brady
OpenEMR

matthewvita wrote on Friday, August 05, 2016:

:+1:

Update: Len is working with me on the layout for the website. Should have a mockup ready for review in a couple of days!