Help upgrading Docker 5.0.2 to 6.0.0

I need help upgrading my 5.0.2 Docker installation on Lubuntu 20.04 LTS to version 6.0.0. I find these instructions at the bottom of this page:

Automatic upgrading of OpenEMR is supported when upgrade from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2+ (note this is not supported in the flex* series). In your docker-compose.yml file, you can basically change the 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 to 6.0.0 image and then do a docker-compose up . This will only work if you have set a shared volume for the /var/www/localhost/htdocs/openemr/sites directory (it will not work if either you didn’t set a shared volume or you set the shared volume to be the entire /var/www/localhost/htdocs/openemr directory). Before you do this, recommend backing everything up.

Please can some kind soul give me some help? To begin with, how do I set a shared volume for the directory in question? (In my case it is /home/robert/openemr.)

Many thanks.

Nobody knows? Someone must. Or is the question just too stupid? To clarify, what is unclear to me is the wording “set a shared volume for the … … directory”. I have googled this and what I find is lots of how-to guides to “sharing a folder over a local network”. Is this the same thing? I could just try it out, but given that the instructions above warn me to back everything up before going ahead, I am hesitant. Thank you.

hi @rdh61 , I think in a prev thread you used this docker-compolse.yml?

So I did. Here, comment 39/131.

But even so, I’m not sure what you’re suggesting I do here and now. That was an initial installation. I now need to upgrade. The upgrade instructions I posted above are not clear to me. The wording:

“set a shared volume for (such-and-such) a directory”
“do a docker-compose up”

I do not know what these phrases mean or how to carry them out.

Thank you.

make a back up or 2 or 3 :slight_smile:
and then change line 18 in the docker-compose.yml file from

image: openemr/openemr:5.0.2

to

image: openemr/openemr:6.0.0

save the file and then run docker-compose up -d

Thank you, simple! I realise I omitted the ‘-d’ but it worked anyway. What was the ‘-d’ for? And what was all that about “setting a shared volume”? I suggest those upgrade instructions need a tweak.

1 Like
-d     Detached mode. Run container in the background, print  new  con‐
              tainer name.