Configuring openemr for therapy practice management

k2c-supp wrote on Sunday, September 27, 2015:

Has anyone configured OpenEMR as a therapy practice management system? The problem I see in doing this is that Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapists need 3 levels in the treatment hierarchy: patient - plan of care - visit, rather than the traditional 2 levels needed by a doctors office: patient - visit. A therapy patient can have 2 or more parallel “plans of care” and each plan of care can then have its own series of visits. In OpenEMR you select a patient then build an encounter (visit) to which you attach vitals, procedures, SOAPs, billing, etc. We would like to select a patient, build a plan of care, then build the encounter under that plan of care. How can you do this with the public version of OpenEMR.

fsgl wrote on Sunday, September 27, 2015:

See this.

k2c-supp wrote on Monday, September 28, 2015:

Thank you. I checked out the CAMOS module. That would work to clone previous SOAPs and provide a nice way to complete a visit. NationNotes are going to be helpful too. But I still need a good way to link the plan of care information from an evaluation visit to a series of therapy visits. I’ve been trying the new tools in the LBV forms using “visit” as as the source for other data fields. It is also very useful to set the option to paste data from the previous visit to clone key fields in a followup session.

But I would still be interested in knowing if others are using OpenEMR to manage a Speech Therapy or Physical Therapy practice where you need to create multiple short and long term goals in a plan of care and carrying them forward to be addressed in weekly sessions over the course of several months. I would be willing to share what I have been learning setting up our practice.

juggernautsei wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

Joel,

We ended up building a whole new care plan module that is simular to what you are saying I believe. The care plan module allows for the patient to be seen over multiple visites and tracks the visits on a single page. A picture is worth a thousand words..

What do you think…

teryhill wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

I like it

Terry

juggernautsei wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

Thanks Terry, there has been two months of work so far on this and it is still growing cause they keep adding features as we go as most project progress this same way. The form auto loads the previous encounter data. It auto adds upto 5 lines where the ICD codes go. And the family, social and medical history is pulled from into the form also.

The print out is an exact copy of the form so there are no surprises.

kodusote wrote on Thursday, October 01, 2015:

Dear Sherwin,

This is fantastic as it addresses a major concern with the use of OpenEMR for “traditional” non-technical medical practitioners. Its like a dashboard of the care a patient is having and the practitioner can move from it to a specific part of the application and come back to the “dashboard”, especially in managing patients with chronic illnesses.

Hope when it is fully developed, it would be available for sharing with those who may want to try it out in their institions.

Kayode

aethelwulffe wrote on Saturday, October 03, 2015:

The levels are actually this:
Intake
Consent
Assessment
Treatment Plan
Progress Notes
Review/Reassessment
Discharge

This is the standard disease management, project management or any other work process management system out there. It doesn’t matter if it is therapy, critical care, or a landscaping project. Process management is the same for all industries, crafts or arts.
If you would like to see examples of forms that allow you to 1. Assess a client; 2. Create/review/approve a treatment plan that draws data from the assessment; 3. Write progress notes that are linked to Goals and Objectives outlined in the Treatment Plan, then you can look at the following files:
http://starfrontiers.org/oemr/examples/assessment.oxps
http://starfrontiers.org/oemr/examples/Plan.oxps
http://starfrontiers.org/oemr/examples/note.oxps

blankev wrote on Saturday, October 03, 2015:

With what program do I read OXPS files? I have a converter, but would like to avoid this step. Looks like logical, clear and sound way of approach, open for additional information if needed…

k2c-supp wrote on Monday, October 05, 2015:

Sherwin, Art,

This does look great! I think it might just work for any type of care management. Your examples are for mental health therapy but the same format would work for speech language therapy. As Art said, it is like any type of project management. I assume the forms pull from the “Lists” in OpenEMR so they can be modified for the appropriate type of practice?
One thing I was not clear about was if the Care Plan was created in a particular encounter with multiple Goals and Objectives, will each of those goals be available in followup encounters with that patient to be tested with a particular therapy activity? As therapy sessions progress over a time frame is there a graphable field that can display the progress?

juggernautsei wrote on Tuesday, October 06, 2015:

The care plan works much like the idea behind CAMOS. When new encounter is opened. The entire care plan is pulled into the new encounter. So, rows of data can be deleted or amended as the goals and objectives are met and it creates a running history of what the patient was seen for at each encounter like with any other encounter based document in the system. So the physician can go back two encounters and see what the care plan was at that time.

I hope this answers your question. But if I missed it let me know and I will try again.

I will make a patch and post it next week.

k2c-supp wrote on Tuesday, October 06, 2015:

Sherwin,
I am excited to see these foms. If you could post a patch, that would be awesome! I will certainly take a look at them and post my thoughts.

juggernautsei wrote on Tuesday, October 06, 2015:

https://omp.openmedpractice.com/testdrive

I have moved the code over to the demo site. The login credentials are on
the front page.
Please test drive the code. This is where I am building the patch. It is
missing some things and it would be nice to get a sponsor or two.

harleytuck wrote on Thursday, October 08, 2015:

Man, Sherwin, this is really important- you’ve added a whole new branch of healthcare to OpenEMR’s capabilities! I’ll be playing with your demo, for sure.
Dang good work!

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, October 08, 2015:

How does this play with ZHH Care Plan for Meaningful use 2

juggernautsei wrote on Thursday, October 08, 2015:

Tony,
I am unaware of ZHH Care Plan. It is not apart of the opensource project. Is it?

juggernautsei wrote on Thursday, October 08, 2015:

Thanks Harley.
I have a few more things to clean up to make the patch ready for use.
As Brady said it doesn’t have to be perfect code just work. It will be worked on over time and build out into something even more usable.

juggernautsei wrote on Tuesday, October 13, 2015:

Pull request has been submitted.
Patch is ready

Download the patch and unzip. Merge files into OpenEMR folder.
Run sql_upgrade.php to update database.
Go to Globals->Documents to enable care plan.
Care Plan button should appear at the top of the screen and on the patients demographics screen.

juggernautsei wrote on Tuesday, October 13, 2015:

The things that are incomplete on the care plan is

1. Printing of lab order
  2. Lab results linking
  3. Imaging

Anyone willing to fund the continued progress of the care plan?

juggernautsei wrote on Thursday, October 15, 2015:

Made some adjustments to the code for the Care Plan. If you have previously downloaded the care plan, download this updated package.
Patch is ready