Batch Payment Unresponsive

Situation
Unable to proceed to allocation after saving new batch payment entry. Can get as far as choosing a patient for distribution, however no charges are displayed with “Show All Transactions” option selected. HTML tags show after patient is selected. See screenshot.

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version 5.0.2

Browser:
I’m using: Firefox current. Also tested Microsoft Edge current.

Operating System
I’m using: Ubuntu Server 18.04.3

Logs
Apache error logs give a PHP warning of "non-numeric value encountered in /library/patient.inc, lines 1470 and 1472.

Have confirmed this issue on 5.0.2 demo. Steps to replicate:

1. Create encounter, add charges to fee sheet, save encounter.

2. Fees > Batch Payments

3. Fill out new payment data

4. Choose to allocate, then observe Payment Method, Paying Entity and Payment Category fields

@frankie My client gets exact same error and failure behavior causing this ‘Batch Payments’ feature not to work at all in 5.0.2 as Distribute/Show All Transactions functionality gets broken . I was also able to recreate this issue in Demo 5.0.2 as well as by steps you had listed above.

Initially, payment related data is entered (dates, payment method, payment from (insurance) etc. in the top portion of the Batch Payment Entry form, and then Allocate/ Save button options are clicked on (see Screenshot #1). This causes form’s three fields: Payment Method, Paying Entity and Payment Category to fill up strangely with a html table syntax (available selection values for that dropdown box) as shown on attached screenshot #2. Next, in the bottom part of form in the Distribute section, a patient name still can be selected but related distribute’s select radio buttons incl. “Show All Transactions” functionality is not working and no transactions gets queried and displayed nor can be associated with a payment. These are same exact errors and results as in this previous initial post reported here by @frankie . Thanks for your help on this.

OpenEMR Version

Browser:
Chrome 76.0.3809.100 /Firefox 68.0.2

Install Type / PHP:
Linux / PHP 7.3

For example Payment Method gets filled up with a following html syntax (available dropdown box selection values for Payment Method):
<table cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%'><tr><td width='100%' nowrap><input type='radio'>Check Payment</td></tr><tr><td width='100%' nowrap><input type='radio'>Cash</td></tr><tr><td width='100%' nowrap><input type='radio'>Credit Card</td></tr><tr><td width='100%' nowrap><input type='radio' checked>Electronic</td></tr><tr><td width='100%' nowrap><input type='radio'>Bank Draft</td></tr><tr><td width='100%' nowrap><input type='radio'>Authorize.net</td></tr><tr><td colspan='1' style='height:0.7em'></td></tr></table>

could be related to another issue

@stephenwaite Thank you for looking and referencing that other perhaps related issue into this one. @zbig01 I wonder if you could review and check if these two issues are related and caused by function loadiframe removal as well in this case (if applicable) Thanks.

Hi @stephenwaite and @frankie

I looked into the issues and fixed the errors. I am in testing it along with our biller to ensure that there are no hidden issues. Will do a PR post–haste.

Thank you for you patience

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@zbig01 That’s good news. Looking forward to the update. Thanks.

The needed changes have been made and a new PR has been created

Fixing critical issues with Fees > Batch Payments #2656

Since the altered files are identical in master and openEMR5.0.2 they can be back ported and will work.

See the comments in the PR for full details.

Thanks

2 Likes

here’s to @zbig01 for the nice fix Fixing critical issues with Fees > Batch Payments (#2656) · openemr/openemr@85493f1 · GitHub

1 Like

Confirmed. Batch Payments functionality is working as expected now. Big thank you to @zbig01 for this fix and beyond with additional billing improvements! Thanks @stephenwaite for your validation and commit on this. Have an awesome day guys.

I seem to be having this same problem with batch payments. I just upgraded from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2 and installed the 5.0.2 patch with the hope that the upgrade would resolve the problem, but it has not.

I am unable to allocate or distribute from any batch payments that have been made. I used to get a confirmation that the payment had been modified but now I get no confirmation after hitting the “Modify Payments” button. I just get a blank white pop-up overlay and no changes are made to the payments.

I’m not familiar with how to find what’s happening via logs that are created, but if anyone can help point me in the right direction to find out what is broken, I would appreciate it.

hi @Tony, maybe you tried clearing the browser’s cache so it would pick the new 5.0.2 scripts?

I went ahead and cleared the browser cache and restarted everything, but that doesn’t seem to make a difference.
If I create a batch payment and go on to allocate it, after I hit the Post Payments button it just returns me to the batch payment screen (New, Search ERA). If I search for it, the batch payment is created, but none of it is distributed, and I am unable to click on it and distribute it after creation either.

Totally stumped.

Edit: I shouldn’t say that I am “unable to click on it and distribute it”; rather I am able to click on it, but I am unable to distribute it.

Could my problem be an issue with ownership or permissions within the /var/www/openemr/ directory?

I ask because I just found that I couldn’t access patient documents that had been previously uploaded in 5.0.1. I found that the documents fold was root:root. I changed the ownership to www-data:www-data and I was then able to access the documents.

Is it possible that the upgrade changed the ownership of directories in a way that is not allowing something to happen correctly in the batch payment distribution process?

If so, how can I check what the proper ownerships/permission of the directories and files should be so that I can fix this without screwing everything up?

Thank you.

hi @Tony, unlikely but you need to give write access to the owner of the files that you see as warnings/errors in the error.log (assuming apache)

Thanks for the input @stephenwaite , I found the apache error.log file, so I went into OpenEMR and attempted to distribute a batch payment so that I could then see what the error.log file had to say about it. I don’t have the ability to make heads or tails of it all, but I thought maybe I could upload an excerpt from the log and perhaps someone could tell me if there is something that is obviously going awry based on their review of that info. I figure it may be clear as day to someone who knows what they’re looking at. Thanks again.
error.txt (23.3 KB)

hi @Tony, check out these settings for php for your apache server, looks like you don’t have enough input variables and you could turn off notices to keep your error logs for warnings and errors

1 Like

@stephenwaite thank you for the suggestion. That appears to have fixed the problem. I am sorry to say that I now remember seeing those instructions for the php file and I must have forgotten to change them when I upgraded to 5.0.2.

1 Like