XAMPP version for EMR - 5.0.2. Windows 10

I struggled through trying to upgrade using the current newest Xampp and version 5.0.2 because I could not just upgrade my current installation due to a lower version of php. It seems in addition to some bugs like you mentioned such as overlapping code boxes on the fee sheet, that it went back to the problem of very slow performance under windows.(using windows10, I7 processor and 8gb ram) Unfortunately all the previous suggestions that seemed to help before did not seem to help with the updated xampp version.So I am stuck at this point because it takes too long to load a patient to make it workable in my office so far.
The Docker thing looks like a pretty big learning curve for us windows users. Does it solve the performance problem because it seems like it would add more overhead that way?

I spend a lot of time to upgrade my current 5.0.1. Windows, but stuck with Xampp upgrade.
Also I spent mach more time with docker, its also not good chose for me yet. I learned how to do all the docker installation process on Linux, but also got a lot of problems with my data restore.
And finally I found best way for me, I switched from Windows platform to Linux Mint!!!
Mach better platform, very easy installation and upgrade process, and fast respond.
My recommendation for all windows users, don’t waist your time for upgrade to 5.0.2 it is not ready yet, its not working. Best choice to switch to Linux Mint!!!
If you need I can give you step by step installation instruction later .

I built a server and tried the mint thing a while back and found it very difficult to get it to serve files correctly to the 6 windows work stations in my office. After struggling with it for awhile I converted back to xampp for windows. Xampp has been just fine since it is only running on a local wired network and I set all the suggested passwords which limits the security concerns. Frankly version 5.0.1 has worked fine for my needs in a small primary care office but it would be nice to keep up with the updates.
If the xampp option is going away however it would be nice to see some instructions on how to transfer all your data from 5.0.1 under windows xampp into a docker or VM and how you would set that up to run on a windows network. I am up to about 16 GB of data, so starting over without importing those files does not seem like an option.

I just finished today my project to transfer my 5.0.1 windows Xampp based data, to 5.0.2. platform in Linux Mint.
We also have small private clinic, with a office based network for 8 computers. Every time with EMR upgrade we had a lot of issues. We moved the server to Linux Mint this time and it is working very well on the server computer but all the other computers are running Windows 10 without conflicts. This is my suggestion for your as well.

1 Like

Would you show the step by step procedures for the conversion? Thanks in advance

All you need to do is, just install Linux Mint on new computer.
Backup you data from Open EMR.

INSTALL OPENEMR 5.0.1 ON MINT

OpenEMR 5.0.1 Ubuntu-Debian Package Installation with PHP7

INTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALL:

https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_5.0.1_Ubuntu-Debian_Package_Installation_with_PHP7

THEN FALLOW RESTORE PROCEDURE BELOW

https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Backing_Up_Using_the_Built_In_Tools

1. Restore script can be found in openemr/contrib/util as an executable file.
  2. Copy emr_backup.tar and restore script to the home directory.

OPEN TERMINAL
sudo ./restore

/home/your home directory username/emr_backup.tar

in gaglae

/var/www/openemr/gacl.

Terminal Output

nerik@nerik:~$ sudo ./restore

WARNING: This script is experimental.

It may have serious bugs or omissions.

Use it at your own risk!

Now you will be asked for the backup file.

By default this is named emr_backup.tar, although you may have saved it as something else.

Enter path/name of backup file: /home/nerik/emr_backup03262020.tar

Extracting /home/nerik/emr_backup03262020.tar …

tar: Substituting `.’ for empty member name

Extracting /tmp/emr_backup/openemr.tar.gz …

Extracting /tmp/emr_backup/phpgacl.tar.gz …

tar: Substituting `.’ for empty member name

Do you want to specify site ID, locations or database names for the restore? [N/y] Y

Current values are shown in [brackets]. Just hit Enter to leave them as-is.

Site ID [default]? - enter

OpenEMR database name [openemr]? - enter

OpenEMR database user [openemr]?- enter

OpenEMR database password [escargot]?- enter

New OpenEMR web directory [/var/www/openemr]?- enter

New phpGACL web directory [ $phpgacl_location = dirname(FILE).’/…/gacl’;]? /var/www/openemr/gacl.

If you have a particular requirement for the UTF-8 collation to use,

then please specify it here. Hit Enter to accept the default ‘utf8_general_ci’.

Enter ‘none’ if you do not want UTF-8.

UTF-8 collation [utf8_general_ci]?- enter

Your Site ID will be ‘default’.

I will install a new OpenEMR web directory ‘/var/www/openemr’ from the backup.

I will restore the OpenEMR database backup to the MySQL database ‘openemr’.

The OpenEMR database user will be ‘openemr’ with password ‘escargot’.

MySQL will use character set ‘utf8’ with collation ‘utf8_general_ci’.

I will copy the phpGACL web directory backup to ‘/var/www/openemr/gacl.’.

Please check the above very carefully!

Any existing databases and directories matching these names will be DESTROYED.

Do you wish to continue? [N/y] y

In order to create MySQL databases and users on this computer, I will need to

user’s password for this server, the one that you are restoring to. This is

a MySQL password, not a system login password. It might be blank.

Enter the password, if any, for the MySQL root user:

Dropping old OpenEMR database if it exists …

Database “openemr” dropped

Restoring OpenEMR database …

mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.

mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.

Restoring OpenEMR web directory tree …

Modifying /var/www/openemr/sites/default/sqlconf.php …

Restoring phpGACL web directory tree …

Modifying /var/www/openemr/library/acl.inc …

All done. :cowboy_hat_face:

UPGRADE TO 5.0.2

Stable Production Release (Version 5.0.2)

https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Downloads

RENAME OPENEMR FOLDER TO OPENEMR_BK

DOWN LOAD: openemr-5.0.2.tar.gz

DOUBLE CLIC ON IT TO UNPACK IT

THAN MOVE IT IN TO VAR/WWW/

THAN GO TO OPENEMR_BK/SITES/DEFAULT/SQLCOFIG.PHP AND COPY IT

THAN GO TO OPENEMR SITES/DEFAULT/SQLCOFIG.PHP AND REPLACE IT

Copy following directories from openemr_bk to - openemr directory (copy in the same order as listed below):

openemr_bk/sites/default/documents (COPY TO) => openemr/sites/default/documents 
openemr_bk/sites/default/edi (COPY TO) => openemr/sites/default/documents/edi 
openemr_bk/sites/default/era (COPY TO) => openemr/sites/default/documents/era 
openemr_bk/sites/default/letter_templates/custom_pdf.php (COPY TO) => openemr/sites/default/custom_pdf.php 
openemr_bk/sites/default/letter_templates (COPY TO) => openemr/sites/default/documents/letter_templates 
openemr_bk/sites/default/procedure_results (COPY TO) => openemr/sites/default/documents/procedure_results 

THAN GO TO : http://localhost/openemr/sql_upgrade.php

INSTRUCTIONS: https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_Upgrade_5.0.1_to_5.0.2

1 Like

Morning Mr Cavalier,
In the installation on mint did you install Apache server?

No, its installs automatically, when you do OpenEMR installation.
Its very easy installation, and much easier then Windows installation.

Great thanks for reply. I am going to start my install now following your instructions. I have the same situation as you do moving from windows to Linux.

I am getting an error site ‘default’ already exists in ’ /var/www/openemr/sites’

If you are reinstalling, check and rename subdirectory ‘default’ - specifically sql configuration file - from prior setup.

Thanks will try out.

If you doing new Open EMR installation on Linux, you not suppose to receive this message.
When you restoring your backup.tar data, you need to rename openemr folder to like openemr_old, and then start the process. Restore process will create new openemr file automatically. And then after finish the process, need to delete openemr_old.
Same, in time of upgrade process to 5.0.2. need to rename openemr folder to openemr_bk.

This is the error i am getting .

Dropping old OpenEMR database if it exists …
Database “openemr” dropped
Restoring OpenEMR database …
ERROR 1118 (42000) at line 3640: Row size too large (> 8126). Changing some columns to TEXT or BLOB may help. In current row format, BLOB prefix of 0 bytes is stored inline.
Error: Restore to database ‘openemr’ failed.

It’s because you didn’t renamed original openemr folder. System created new openemr folder and it’s going to make an error.
Start over again and rename openemr folder.

Could the php version cause this error.
The install is php 7
My backup is from a php 5.2 and I can’t install php 5.2 on Linux mint version that I am currently using. Any thoughts.
Thanks

We need to upgrade php version, to be able to upgrade to openemr 5.0.2.
Problem with windows we had was the php upgrade process.
If you have an error you can’t fix, just reinstall fresh Linux, it will take only 10 minutes, and start again, follow the steps I posted, and you not suppose get any errors.
Just don’t forget to rename openemr folder, before restoring backup.tar file.
All you need to do in the beginning, just move openemr.tar file and restore file to home directory, and start with terminal.

Thanks will start new and update.
Thank you.

Mr Cavalier did you use the windows backup tool in administration to do the backup?
I keep on getting the error failed to restore database.
Any suggestions anyone ?

Yes shore, I did windows backup, and then restored backup file to Linux based OpenEMR 5.0.1.
Dont’t forget to put emr_backup.tar and restore script(Restore script can be found in openemr/contrib/util as an executable file) to home directory.
And rename original openemr directory before restore process.