Vitals form doesn't register vitals

The vitals form in the latest 5.01(5) version does not register values properly, although in Global Settings the decimal separator is correctly set to ‘comma’ as per our locale (Europe).
Enter weight as 23,4 Kg and a pop-up message says please enter a correct value. It only accepts period as the decimal separator, then it will make an entry. Why ??
And worse, enter temperature as 39,7 C and there is no pop-up message at all, but a 0 value is inserted into the database, so the information is lost silently.
Is there another setting locale somewhere apart from Globals and User settings that we missed?

hi @roland ,
I’m surprised that this issue has never been brought up since using period for decimal separator is basically hard-coded in the vitals form. In globals, I am pretty sure that decimal/comma option is for currency, assuming you are talking about the “Currency Decimal Point Symbol” setting. To support this will require coding; won’t actually be too tough; would need another global for Standard decimal separator and then incorporate into the vitals form (note all backend database is stored in US with . decimals, so it’s not too tough to support other options like metric and , decimals since it’s just a view thing).
-brady

hi @brady.miller,
thanks for being back on the forum to reply. Indeed it says “Currency” at the decimal point symbol setting, but the same happens in the fee sheet and the charges panel, not only the vitals form.
When I enter € 48,50 some fields will register only 48, so the db returns € 48.00 later, sometimes they don’t register at all and the billing overview reads 0.00 . I must admit that I only tested this briefly with 4.2.x versions. When using drug dosages it’ll get dangerous when decimals aren’t registered by the application.

When I said that we use OpenEMR parallel to the prop PMS in our veterinary clinic (v. 5.0.0), this is only true for registering the patient’s health records. We don’t use the billing or the calendar, precisely because of the internationalization issues (no 24 h time and currency/measurements decimal symbol consistency). This was one of the main reasons for the other doctors and front staff saying nonono to the switch last february.
I put a lot of work into developing new forms, so the battle is not lost yet. I included weight and temperature fields in our own custom forms (general physical, dental + anaesthesia, nutrition etc.) and they work OK.
However, it would really help if these basic issues were addressed in the vitals form, calendar and the charges. I thought about customization, but since this involves changing I don’t know how many base files of OpenEMR, they would be overwritten with each update.
I would not want to miss all the exciting updates in the future because of this.
If it was never brought up before, then you must not have many users in this locale area of the world…
Roland

hi @roland, i’ve started to look at what @brady.miller mentioned as a straight forward fix to vitals and once we get a handle on that we can move on to other international issues :slight_smile:

hi @stephenwaite, @brady.miller,
thanks, I hope you have the time to look at the international issues with all other development work going on. It would really help as I said. I wonder how other doctors use it then:
In a considerable part of the countries you mention in the Newslink where OpenEMR is deployed (South Africa, Brazil, Equador, Poland, Congo etc… got that from the LocalePlanet site) they also seem to use our infamous “comma” as the decimal separator. Don’t they care about half a millitre too much injection fluid, or a few tenths of Celsius degrees fever?
Curious that no-one has ever noticed, or maybe they all found workarounds. In our own custom forms the decimals are accepted after the comma, store Ok in the db (with a period however, but that’s ok, the decimal values are there), and they read back fine. This is not the case with the vitals/billing/drugs module however. I noticed when trying to print a receipt from OpenEMR for an owner instead of our usual PMS. It read total amount € 0.00 paid amount € 0.00. We won’t stay in business very long like that :wink:
-roland

1 Like