Upgrading ver 4.1.2 to 7

Has anyone before upgraded from version 4.1.2 to 7? Is there a way to keep databases and layouts in the process?

I don’t think it’s a good idea to update directly. I think you should update version by version starting with 4.2.0 and at each update see if the data is correct. Here you can download the previous versions:

Regards.
Luis.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not a dev but I do know it wouldn’t upgrade directly anyway because serious changes were made to the database around, I believe, version 5? I’ve heard of people exporting the data and LBFs from the older version then re-importing them into a fresh install of the newer OpenEMR, and I’m sure the forum has many posts on how it’s done.
Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! So far I made 6 upgrades from 4.1.1 to ver 5.0 and databases, layouts, users, etc kept and unnaffected. Besides this… since original XAMPP - OpenEMR bundle was from version 4.1.1, should I also upgrade XAMPP for any of the upgrades I am doing or is there no problem by keeping the old XAMPP from ver 4.1.1 OpenEMR bundle? Best regards.

@NoriegaMD @luisuriarte

Huh, don’t know how this says I marked the issue solved! Because it is not; lots more should be said.

I stopped installing my own instances of OpenEMR when they discontinued the linux .deb file installer! :slight_smile:
But I do know that as it evolves, OpenEMR changes its requirements in the supporting software (xampp, php, MySQL, etc), and those have to evolve with it.

Also, upgrade scripts do not always work just out of the box, and a host of other factors complicate the upgrade process over the number of versions you’re trying to jump.

Since you are progressing up through the versions, this page will give you the required software, workflows and settings for each version:
https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Installation

Good luck!

• HT

Yes, and yes. But I use Ubuntu and I did it progressively as the O/S’s changed and new versions of Oemr were released. The most difficult transition for me was from 4x to 5x and I wrote a step-by-step guide. PM me if you’re interested in a copy.

Hi David!
THanks for sharing your experience with de upgrading process. Right now I’m in the upgrade proccess from ver 5.02 to 6. I’m afraid of losing the Layouts and Forms, so I would like to hear from your experience and recommendations to keep patients data and personalised forms and layouts. Thanks in advance for this valuable assesment.

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns about upgrading from OpenEMR 5.02 to version 6 and the potential risk of losing layouts, forms, and patient data. This is a valid concern, and it’s important to approach the upgrade process carefully to ensure a smooth transition while safeguarding your valuable data and customizations.

First and foremost, it’s highly advisable to create a comprehensive backup of your existing OpenEMR installation, including both the application files (folders) and the database. This precautionary measure will serve as a safety net in case anything goes wrong during the upgrade process.

Now, regarding your layouts, forms, and patient data:

1. Backup Your Database: Use the built-in backup functionality within OpenEMR to create a database backup. This ensures that your patient data is securely stored, and you can restore it if needed.
    Backing Up Using the Built In Tools - OpenEMR Project Wiki

2. Custom Code Changes: If you or your team have made custom code changes to OpenEMR, it’s crucial to document and back up these changes separately. As you correctly mentioned, when upgrading, native source code changes may be overwritten, potentially affecting your customizations.

3. Review Release Notes: Before proceeding with the upgrade, carefully review the release notes for OpenEMR 6. These notes should provide insights into any changes that might affect layouts and forms. Make a list of the specific areas or features that have changed.

4. Test in a Staging Environment: It’s a best practice to perform the upgrade first in a staging environment that mirrors your production setup. This allows you to test the upgrade process and identify any potential issues before implementing it in your live environment.

5. Consult Professional Support: Given the critical nature of healthcare data, you might consider reaching out to professionals who specialize in OpenEMR upgrades and customizations, as you mentioned in your original post. They can provide in-depth support, guidance, and assistance with preserving your custom layouts and forms during the upgrade.

I Recommend Professional Support - OpenEMR Project Wiki

By following these steps and seeking expert guidance, you can minimize the risks associated with the upgrade process while ensuring the safety of your patient data and personalized forms and layouts.

I hope this information is helpful in your upgrade journey. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.