Upgrading from 5.02 Linux install to 7.01 Docker

I have been stuck in 5.02 for a long while. I am finally at a place where I am ready to update. I have been running the Linux installations from the beginning. Should I stick with that?

I would like to switch to Docker. To do that I suppose I would have to restore a back up from my Linux install correct? I believe I would have to upgrade to 6 and then 7 and then back up from the latest 7 and restore to Docker version 7. Am I thinking correctly?

Or is there an advantage to just sticking with the Linux package (other than not having to restore from backup)?

Thanks,

Craig

I can’t solve the whole riddle for you, but I can give you a hint. https://github.com/openemr/openemr-devops/blob/master/packages/lightsail/ingestion.sh is my ingestion script, designed to take an OpenEMR backup – the tarball you can make inside the application – and slurp it into a container.

I can’t guarantee it’ll work out of the box, since my testing wasn’t real world, just contrived examples from fresh systems, but it at least covers the kinds of problems you should be thinking about solving for an import – and because it uses the static OpenEMR backup file, you can test your process in fresh workspaces without impacting production resources.

1 Like