Upgrading 5.0.0 to 5.0.1, sql_upgrade.php with message "PHP version needs to be at least 5.6.0."

I’m using XAMPP on windows 7 pro. XAMPP Version 1.8.2
Control Panel Version: 3.2.1 [Compile: May 7th 2013]

I’ve followed the upgrade instruction to step #8: Open openemr/sql_upgrade.php (http://localhost/openemr/sql_upgrade.php) in web browser, choose 5.0.0 and click ‘Upgrade Database’

I’ve gotten this message on screen: “PHP version needs to be at least 5.6.0.”
How can I solve this?

XAMPP 1.8.2 only shipped with PHP 5.4, so you’ll need to honor that request. It seems like it’s not really possible to upgrade just the PHP stack in XAMPP, though – Google suggests backing up the htdocs and mysql/data folders, installing fresh, and copying them back in, but I’ve never attempted that procedure.

@2017,
It is doable to upgrade the PHP version by just renaming existing /xampp/php??? to phpold or something and dropping in new PHP directory tree using same directory name as replaced version. Then copy the php.ini from old version into new.

1. Ensure you run phpinfo from your xampp control panel and get the same bus size and tread safe version PHP as previous install. i.e x86 non thread safe.
  2. I’m not sure what apache version is installed so note that as well. Hopefully it is at least 2.2.

If this doesn’t work then backup xampp somewhere then uninstall via windows uninstall(not directory delete) and install a newer version xampp. After which copy your my.ini and php.ini from old version.
Tedious but worth the upgrade if I say so myself :slight_smile:

Edit: You may have to update your Redistributable for Visual Studio to correct version for new install.
Last edit: Are you going to upgrade from 2017 to 2018 soon? :slight_smile:

Thank you Asher Densmore-Lynn and Jerry P.

Would it be ok if I try the dual upgrade (https://open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Dual_Upgrade_of_OpenEMR_and_XAMPP_in_Windows) or as Jerry suggested in the 2nd way above (if this doesn’t work then backup xampp somewhere then uninstall via windows uninstall(not directory delete) and install a newer version xampp. After which copy your my.ini and php.ini from old version.
Tedious but worth the upgrade if I say so myself :slight_smile:)?

I prefer to update the newer version of XAMPP.

I am trying this update on a copy of the production version. Once I have it worked, I will attempt the production version.

Thank you for your help.

Never tried the wiki and has been a while since i’ve done but if I remember correctly a new xampp install did not work unless I uninstall previous first. Renaming xampp or moving somewhere should be enough but i’d go ahead and follow wiki’s steps. If you have issues, i’ll be around forum most the day and will help if I can.