Unable to login after new install

hi @magnetar47 , if you have a root password then try editing web root/openemr/sites/default/sqlconf.php as in C:\xampp\htdocs\openemr\sites\default\sqlconf.php and replace the openemr user name and password with root’s.

Ah, right, got it. I had misunderstood what you meant.

So I edited the file from notepad, and replaced the openemr creds with the root creds. No luck though; I get the exact same error. For a fraction of a second, it appeared as if something more was happening, but it failed. I did check the logs, and I got the exact same error user not in any phpGACL groups.

@magnetar47 ,
Would like to figure out this bug in your OS, which can probably isolate by turning on debug in gacl, which will show errors that happen during the install (ie. setup.php script). Recommend setting the DEBUG flag from FALSE to TRUE at line 3 in the gacl/gacl.ini.php script. Then do a new install via setup.php script and then it should ouput errors (there is likely an error happening in the sql queries during gacl installation).

1 Like

I enabled the DEBUG flag, and went through the installation process. God alone knows what happened this time, but I’ve successfully logged in. :laughing:

On the main page, I’ve got a “Notice” at the top of the page, which I believe is due to the enabled DEBUG flag:

Notice: Only variables should be passed by reference in
D:\XAMPP\htdocs\openemr\src\Menu\MainMenuRole.php
on line 68

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in D:\XAMPP\htdocs\openemr\interface\main\calendar\modules\PostCalendar\common.api.php on line 227

(EDIT: I’ve added another debug message that I just noticed)

I must mention this - until last time, while setting up the admin user account, I had left the last name blank. This time, I had also provided a last name, just in case. Every other part of the setup process was the exactly identical. I’m beginning to suspect that something silently failed each time, when the last name was blank.

Shall I turn off the debug flag now, or do I have to reinstall the whole thing again after disabling the flag?

1 Like

looks like you found the bug with the last name @magnetar47, nice job
can set DEBUG back to FALSE but also check your php settings to turn off php notices

Oh lovely, glad to know. :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing that out. It didn’t occur to me that errors are displayed by default in XAMPP.

Until this time, I had just set the first name to “Administrator” and left last name blank. It be great either if the setup catches this issue and doesn’t allow the user to proceed to the next step, or if the empty last name is actually supported and made “legal”. Shall we consider this thread closed, or should it be left open until the bug is fixed? IMHO, I’m now able to login, and the as far as the topic of this thread is concerned, it is fixed.

I’ve started an issue on github and will post back when we have a fix. Thank you @magnetar47

1 Like

Sweet. It looks like the issue has already been patched as well! :smiley:

Glad to have brought that issue to your notice. Thanks for the help. Now I can finally evaluate whether OpenEMR fits our use-case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I read everyone’s comments, but my solution turned out to be expired passwords. I had stepped away from the project for a few months and upon returning I found no passwords working and the failed login messages every time I load the login page. It was just as everyone else is describing. The first failed login sent me in the totally wrong direction. The first time it failed I saw a quick message about a failed daemon or systemd process. Once I changed the password expiration to exceed the time since I started the project everything went back to normal. Changing the admin password to pass did not work. Reducing the min password length had no effect either.

@2klydejo Thank you for pointing out another cause of failed logins and its solution. :+1:

Need help in this thread - getting “user password is expired” when i decode the comment section of the logs table.

Like others, I am trying to reset admin password. I have updated the globals table with the gbl_minimum_password_length is now 4 (was 9).

Please help!

How were you able to do that in mysql?
I think I am having the same issue

Never mind - I figured it out. It was, as described, a simple password expiration date issue. Simply changing the password_expiration_days to a higher number fixed the issue.

1 Like