Unable to log into the patient portal (Chrome or Safari on Mac OS 10.14)

Situation
Attempting to log into the patient portal with a newly created user name and password doesn’t work … I get an upper right view “black box” message that says … Ooops, Something went wrong. On Chrome I tried “registering” but it did not allow me to register (Oooops, Something …). On Safari, it let me attempt to register but then said that I was already registered.

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version 5.0.1 (5) Standard Hosted AWS

Browser:
I’m using: Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit) or Safari 12.0.1 (14606.2.104.1.1)

Operating System
I’m using: Mac OS 10.14

Logs
Did you check the logs? Where/how do I check them?

Bump. Still having this problem 2.5 years later on version AWS OpenEMR Cloud STANDARD 6.0.0p2 - cannot log into the portal as a patient (verified credentials, even created a new test user).
–RBL

Found the problem. The “Save” button is hidden below the visible portion of the credentials so the new credentials are never saved (only a “close” button was visible). Once I started scrolling down below the visible part of the credentials dialog and pressing “save,” I was able to log in as a patient. The issue is that the dialog for the credentials needs to be increased in size so that the “save” and cancel buttons are visible (or put them near the close button, which is visible).
–RBL