Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 upgrade documentation

Hi everyone,

New OpenEMR user here. I’m helping a small clinic update their 4.1.1 installation of OpenEMR. Currently - they’re on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I’d like to upgrade them to at least Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - but when I try this on my Virtual machines, it’s not very successful. This would be the first step before I tackle upgrades of OpenEMR itself.

Is there some documentation available that safely steps me through an Ubuntu upgrade? Alternatively - should I be upgrading OpenEMR before attempting an Ubuntu upgrade?

I’m happy to read through any documentation - I’ve tried searching with Google, et al, and not found references that seem quite applicable.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Paul

Hello ppietro,
we would recommend you to upgrade the ubuntu 14.04 before attempting to upgrade openemr
Here is the link which would help you to upgrade ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04.

To upgrade openemr 4.1.1,please look into the below link that would give a better idea
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_4.1.1_Ubuntu-Debian_Package_Installation

we hope that these document would help you,please let us know if you have any clarifications
Thanks
Visolve

Thank you for the prompt response. Updating Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 first, then updating OpenEMR makes sense - thanks for posting links to those guides.

I do have a follow-up question.

I’ve tried this Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS upgrade with OpenEMR 4.1.1 test data on my scratch Linux installations. When I do this, I can no longer open OpenEMR - it gives me an error message along the lines of the “openenmr directory doesn’t exist.” Checking the file system shows the directory is still there. (I can get you the exact error message if you need it).

I have a feeling that the upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 requires a new configuration for OpenEMR 4.1.1 to work properly - possibly in PHP or Apache? Is there a guide that details the exact steps I need to take to do this upgrade so that OpenEMR functionality is maintained?

I’m an old hand at Linux - but a newcomer to OpenEMR. Any advice you can give me is very welcome. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Paul

I think the web root changes from /var/www to /var/www/html

Hi @ppietro ,

Since this is Ubuntu, rec taking advantage of the ubuntu package. After you upgrade to 14.04, try the following to upgrade OpenEMR right to 5.0 (this will do the upgrade and also set up apache to work since as @stephenwaite mentioned, there were some changes in apache in 14.04 ):
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_Package_Upgrade_to_5.0.0_with_PHP5
(there is a very good chance that this will work, but definitely backup your stuff before doing this)

-brady

ppietro, how did the upgrade go. I am in the process of upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 & openemr 4.2.0 to 16.04 and 5.0 respectively. I’d love it to go as smoothly as possible. Looking forward to hear your progress