"This page isn't working. Localhost is unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500" when trying to get to the login page to OpenEMR

All of a sudden, when trying to get to the OpenEMR login page, chrome is throwing this error. XAMPP is running as well as Apache and MySQL. It was working only a few minutes ago.

I’m using OpenEMR version 5.0.1

I’m using Windows 8.1 Pro

Donna:

A 500 Error means it’s a problem with the internal web server (so not your browser and most likely not the database).

Has the issue resolved itself? Also I hate to ask, but did you try restarting your computer? Please let us know and we’ll try to respond within hours.

Thank you,

Dan E

The error is too generic and does not tell you exact problem. What you need is to find out what is the real issue. If your site is serving a Internal Server Error, this can be caused by a number of things, such as:

• Errors in .htaccess files
  • Server permission
  • Server timeout
  • Script timeout
  • Or some other Web Server Issues

Normally, a permissions issue on the file (or files) would be one cause of the 500 Internal Server Error. The simple solution is to run chmod 644 on the problem file(s) or chmod 755 on the directories.

$ sudo chmod -R 777 /"your files location"

The best way to debug the error depends upon the server and what’s actually running at the time. Consider some debugging tips to help diagnose and fix common causes of this problem.