Surgery Operation Notes

Has any Ophthalmologist using OpenEMR developed an ideal extension or Note type for capturing Eye surgery procedures to integrate into the Eye Exam module? If not specifically for Ophthalmology, what options are other surgery doctors using for ideal capture of their surgery notes?
Thanks
Jonathan J

Hello @jonjof
Ophthalmology is one of the specialties for which OpenEMR has had forms adapted over the years but it is not too common a thing. However, most of the folks who did that have asked for advice in this forum about their project, and their questions, and the answers they received, are stored here for posterity. All you need to do is search for them:

That search term yielded more than 50 returns; you could refine the search for more focused results.

The OpenEMR wiki also has decades of documentation in it. You can go to the search dialog at the bottom of virtually any wiki page, and perform a search of the wiki for documents which might be relevant to you enquiry. Or just click this link:
https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php?search=ophthalmology&title=Special%3ASearch&profile=default&fulltext=1

Once you get your search results, come on back to the forum with specific questions on how the results are implemented!
Best- Harley

Thanks Harley
Yes, I have done quite a complete search.
My assumption is that I need to use one of Forms options to capture surgery notes.
If one of the professional support companies can help me with something they have already compiled, it would be appreciated.
The basic eye module is excellent and we have adopted this already.
Jonathan J

Hi @jonjof
Ah- thanks for responding, good to know you’re using the resources as they’re intended to be used! And yes, I would concur that you will need to create your own form(s) for your needs.

I do work for one of the professional support companies and we have done plenty of forms for customers, though nothing ophthalmic, so can’t help you with that.

But I’ve noticed something interesting about custom forms. Contributions of application code are managed by the OpenEMR project developer hierarchy with its git-hub repos and other resources. But forms created by users generally stay with the users. For all of OpenEMR being a FOSS project, it doesn’t have a formal mechanism to shepherd contributions back to the project of the LBFs and other forms that practices create for their own use.

It’s unfortunate but understandable, because some community member would need to contribute time and effort to manage and maintain such a mechanism. It’s a great idea but so far it’s a ‘who’s going to bell the cat’ kinda thing.

Best- Harley

@jonjof I’m not sure if this helps or not. But when we do procedures we just use the built in “Speech Dictation” note. I think it’s just two textarea fields but that’s where we store the procedure notes.

Thanks Harley

Response appreciated.

What would be useful for capturing surgery notes is to use a separate “draw” window similar to what is available for anterior segment record.

image001.png

Is there perhaps a way to add an extra draw option specifically for this record?

J

~WRD157.jpg

I don’t know who the dev was who coded this feature… @sjpadgett , @juggernautsei , other devs, can you offer suggestions?

Sounds like Ray would need to be consulted. Sorry I don’t recall his handle but he was the dev for the eye forms.
It could be done but it’d need to be sponsored.

Thanks - Ray, or anyone else who may have done something similar please let me know. I can use the tools currently standard on the module, but if there is something more specific it would be nice.