Step 3 - Creating Database and First User...ok

Hi, before I start I apologise if I make any mistakes because it’s the first time in my life that I write in a forum to ask for help.
My problem concerns the installation of OpenEmr in my Godaddy Hosting. The error is that after Step 3 - Creating Database and First User…OK. it does not go any further in the installation despite the fact that I have created my database with all the permissions and also in the folders. Please can someone help me out so that I can learn. I have been trying to understand for a fortnight now. Thank you very much to those who will help me

Hello @bubu welcome to the OpenEMR community and its forum!
This is a very rich source of information tended by volunteers who are happy to help. Sometimes, though, it can take time for somebody to notice your post and deliver an answer specific to your question.

As it happens, over the years many, many people have been stuck in step three just like you, and have asked about it here. While you wait for somebody to answer your post, you can always search for other users’ posts who have asked the same thing, and read the answers they received, like this:

If you develop other specific questions feel free to come back to the forum and ask them.
Best- Harley

Hi Bubu,
I have had issues installing this product too. Over the many weeks of scouring the forum I may have seen this problem elsewhere… I think a possible solution provided was, to manually delete the database in SQL, then allow OpenEMR to re-create it by running the setup again. Don’t quote me though.

This in turn can open up a can of worms because you need to know how to delete it in SQL, particularly in the context of your hosting setup.

However, if OpenEMR does not re-create the database and you get another error, you will be where I am. You don’t want to be there. You need to be fairly technically competent I would say.
I thought I was.

Sincerely speaking, software development is atrociously difficult, so my upmost respect to people like Nilesh and Harley.

Hi, Htucck
I’m really glad you took the time to answer me.
I have searched everywhere in the forums to decide to write here.
I will now look again in the posts you sent me here.
Thx a lot

Hi Tech1

I am really glad to find people like you who are willing to share
their knowledge.
I manually deleted the Sql database and let the software to run
create its own software, but no luck… I even tried giving all
folder permissions to see if maybe it was a permission problem,
but nothing too
Everything I do I get stuck on step 3.
I’ve never had difficulties like this in my professional life.
I hope I can get through this step.
Thx a lot

Try creating a new database manually on SQL. Provide access to that database by creating a new local account. Do not use the dollar sign in the password for this local account ($). Use a long account name (because the web install causes an error if its short). Also, use a lowercase database name.

Then try the 2nd option in setup in an attempt to try and connect to what would be, an existing database.

Once again, do not quote me as I havent managed to get it to working myself. It is just advice I have seen on my travels.

I tend to agree with you, in that I have not sat on a issue for months like this for a few years.
Some commands I needed from my notes…

SHOW DATABASES;
CREATE DATABASE [databasename]; //create db
USE [databasename]; // select db before adding user
CREATE USER ‘[yourusername]’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘[yourpassword]’; //no dashes, no dollar, causes error
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON [databasename].* TO ‘[createduser]’; //hyphen in name will not work
SHOW GRANTS FOR yourusername; //check they are applied
FLUSH PRIVILEGES; //always do apparently

Wooowwww. I made it through step 3. Done!!! So: first create a database via MySQL database and username: … password:…
and then go to the folder sites/default and open the file sqlconf.php and leave user and database name empty and just write the password. Then underneath leave $db_encoding = ‘utf8mb4’.
Now go back to your hosting and go phpmyadmin and open your database and click operation after collation and change it to utf8mb4_unicode_ci. Now go and install your software and put in your user and password.
after much effort and weeks spent and going crazy, finally done. Now let’s see the next challenge. Thanks to all of you who have given me the will to continue. One must always share knowledge.

1 Like

Hi bubu, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
once you have created your database, which you have successfulyl created… >>>
in our browser open the openemr folder example
type in browser localhost/openemr ( if u r installing it on ur pc) or else ur ipaddress/“openemr_folder”

rest of the steps are pretty easy.

make sure you enter there the database name and username properly.
if you are installing on a live server which is a shared server) your username might have a prefix like
urname_database or user name.
but if u r on a localhost thn what database and user name u select, that it wil be without a refix.
You can PM me if u still need help. Will be glad to assist.
Regards
Robert

Excellent news @bubu . I kinda gave up after many weeks.

The fix applied to the sqlconf.php is invaluable information though, along with the database encoding stuff, thanks.

Who would have guessed, leaving the user and database name blank…

Thank you very much Roberto. I managed to do all the steps of the installation.

Hi,
I cannot create several accounts with different permissions for each account: 1. Administrator must have all permissions and that is fine.
But I can’t create the other accounts but they don’t have to have the same permissions.:
physician (more access than clinician)
clinician (less access than physician)
accountant accountant
front desk receptionist front desk receptionist.
I would like to have the same accounts as the demo and the possibility to add others.
Who can help me
Thx