Report - Eligibility 270 Inquiry Batch

paanii13 wrote on Thursday, May 05, 2011:

Hello Community,

After numerous submissions, I finally got Availity to accept OpenEMR’s eligibility request (270). Unfortunately, OpenEMR is unable to read the 271 reports generated by Availity. Can someone please post a template of a 271 report that is properly formatted for openemr (a print screen will suffice).

For Availity users who may be interested in submitting eligibility requests , below are the necessary changes you need to make in order for your openemr generated batch to be accepted.  I used EDI Notepad to make the changes.

Item : Default Value : Correct Value

Receiver Qualifier : ZZ Mutually Defined : 01 Duns (Dun & Bradstreet)
Sender Identifier: AV09311993 : AV01101957
Time : HHMMSS : HHMM

aethelwulffe wrote on Friday, May 06, 2011:

Dude…I >just< (3 minutes ago), finished modifications that allowed my 12 gen changes and edits work with the 4.1.0 calender and facility modification branch version.  I was having problems with my old code compiling under smarty etc…  and Linda is now beating on everything to test out for boo-boos.  I have NOT sent a 270 to availity yet, and I don’t know if the version had also included the new 270 stuff.
  Here is what I CAN tell you.  You need to check the formats of the 271 reports you receive.  There are options on availity to receive reports with line returns, and some without.  Check to make sure you are receiving files that do not have line returns.  Doubtlessly, you have already set this option for ERA’s if you have been able to upload them.  Just check to see if there are any issues like that.
  I will post the change files in a zip for those minor x12 header configuration changes I made, which primarily take care of billing to ValueOptions/FHP.  I have to re-institute them with every new emr version I get, 'cause I can’t seem to get GIT.  If you want them, and wish to “pay” for them, I suggest help me harass the powers that be to include/commit them.
-It would help me out a LOT, saving me much pain and making testing new code contributions much easier for me.  They might also help other folks that deal with a$$h0le-baby insurance companies like ValueOptions.

mkup wrote on Friday, May 06, 2011:

Does not 270 batch still have structural bugs listed in http://sourceforge.net/projects/openemr/forums/forum/202505/topic/4480930 ?  I have not tested the demos for 3 days though…  I have fixes for those problems, which passed GatewayEDI format test.  I’ll share the fixes as soon as my files get accepted by insurance companies.

mark

aethelwulffe wrote on Saturday, May 28, 2011:

Just a bump here.
  I am still having problems with the following:
1.  The data interchange control header is not being accepted (by availity).
2.  Even if you choose a specific x12 partner, the report is still generated with patients from multiple partners.

aethelwulffe wrote on Saturday, May 28, 2011:

PS…this was from files added to the calender and facility mod 4.0.1, just over-writing the 270/271 library files, the edi include, and checking the table alteration (which already existed in the installation.

MKup, if you DO have fixes that worked, please share!

In the meantime, how is everyone else in the world dealing with eligibility checks in the meantime?  Is this not a hot priority?

nursejeff wrote on Thursday, January 19, 2012:

Can someone give me instructions on how to use the eligibility feature found in the insurance section?

Jeff Guillory
NP Health Clinic

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, January 19, 2012:

Hi,
Would also be really nice to get this instruction set (if somebody posts them) onto the wiki; I’d be glad to place them on the wiki if somebody posts them here.
-brady

blankev wrote on Thursday, January 19, 2012:

Brady,

although it is not relevant for our situation on Curacao, as a contribution I will compuile all e/mails an try to make a readable WIKI information chapter. I will send it to your personal e/mail address when finished. Hope to have it ready by end of this weekend.

Pimm

Or do you want me to post it in the WIKI and you corect the WIKI?

Finished the compilation as far as I understand the issue………

How to get to use “Report - Eligibility 270 Inquiry Batch”.
While implementing all the efforts the send the right information you might get from the Clearing house:
Remember, it automatically pulls insurance eligibility. The clearing house an X12 partner, is giving this error in red “* Clearing house info required for EDI 270 batch creation”.
This is just a warning, you can ignore it. Refer the following link for workflow document: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3019716&group_id=60081&atid=1245239
The same problem is compiled as follows:

1) Made a new patient
2) Made a new insurance company
3) Made and X12 partner
4) Added insurance to the patient’s primary
5) Made an appt for today
6) Went to the report and put date from (anything basically) and to today
7) Hit refresh and the patient showed up
8) Then choose an X12 Partner

Click:  ‘Create Batch’ and send the text file via x12 stuff while using Availity.

First 2 times I missed ISA06 and GS02. (Means: failed)
Third time Interchange Note: Duplicate Interchange Control Number (means failed)

Response of Availity: They are getting duplicate control number.

There can be some programming issues with Eligibility:
1. Control number sequence increment
2. Selected Receiver ID Qualifier (ISA07) as Duns, but it generates file content as ZZ (instead of 01).
3. Application Sender Code (GS02)
This value is picked from Receiver ID (ISA08).
N.B: Availity guidelines are in page 29 of http://www.availity.com/documents/edi_guide.pdf.
Other problems encountered:

1. Report lists only patients that have had appointments in the calender. I see the sense in this, so you can check eligibility of up-coming patients, but not all our clients are scheduled in the EMR most of them are never on the calender. It would be nice to check eligibility across the board.

2. Selecting an X12 partner does not restrict the list to just the insurance companies using that X12 partner. Also, with no check boxes/radio buttons, you must “delete” each item in the list individually to edit them from the generated list.

3. Provider for the eligibility check seems to be from the calendar as well. There is sense in this and understandable, is there is a simply way for checking for eligibility against the facility NPI instead of against a particular billing provider, as the provider on the calendar might very well not actually be the billing provider.

After some fixes there still might be the same error from Availity.
These are the X12 settings for X12 PARTNER:
AVAILITY ID: “EIN” RECEIVER ID QUALIFIER (ISA07):Duns (Dun & Bradstreet) RECEIVER ID (ISA08):030240928 SENDER ID QULAIFER(ISA05):Mutually Defined SENDER ID(ISA06): AV09311993 ISA14:Yes SUBMITTER EDI ACCESS NUMBER(PER06):V07432 VERSION:004010X098A1 PROCESSING FORMAT: standard
Question: Am I missing anything? Has anyone successfully submitted an eligibility request to Availity?
What other  errors might Availity show, not related to OEMR:
AVAILITY TA1 INTERCHANGE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT Customer ID: 0023558 File Status: REJECTED Date Received: 2011-04-16 Time Received: 15:20:14.435 Filename: elig-270…2011-02-01.2011-04-16.txt File Control Number: 895446777 ******************************************************************************** Interchange acknowledged: TA101 ******************************************************************************** Interchange Date: 110416 Interchange Time: 1514 Interchange Status: The Transmitted Interchange Control Structure Header and Trailer are Rejected Because of Errors. Interchange Note: Unknown Interchange Receiver ID---- END OF REPORT -----------
Their system will be down from 16apr 1700- tomorrow. Sometimes you need to call and find out what is necessary to correct.
This might be a good hint as to what is screwy:
ISA*00*0000000 *00*0000000000*ZZ*AV09311993 *01*AV09311993 *110416*1514*U*00401*895446777*1*P*:~GS*HS*AV01101957*030240928 Lots of zeros……Not good. should be blank spaces.
ISA01-04 ARE used by some companies, and should be configurable in OpenEMR. These are modified files for claims and x12 partner configuration:
http://starfrontiers.org/khvcode/Openemr/x12_header_mod.zip
Part of these files include a new edit html that allows to configure X12 partner data with the elements in ORDER, instead of any mismatched mishmash order that can be encountered. Also possible to allow configuration of the whole header.
Compiled: There is need for  sql-queries patch updates.
Have the 4.1 upgrade added as well (probably the 3.2 upgrade also).
Have to use the 270 the new X12 partner variables this might provide OEMR with a complete new system.
Advise: Could utilize my files to make changes here, and allow these values to have configurable settings. Without such, I won’t (and a lot of folks in Fl &IL won’t) be able to use it for everyone. Once this is done, I believe a lot of recurring issues will be solved. You could integrate my includes, use those fields/variables the way I have done in my x12 gen changes.
As per the standard, the Zeros in the interchange header segment are valid if no information is present for that data element (e.g. ISA01-04). If needed this can be made configurable.
It is also possible to see an interchange note in the “AVAILITY TA1 INTERCHANGE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT Report”:
Interchange Note: Unknown Interchange Receiver ID could be the cause of error. Could be an error in the header segment information OR any other issue.
To find any error it helps to make a print screen. It helps resolve the ISA Errors.

Following GS Errors might give some ideas:

Below are my default settings GS01 (Functional ID Code):HS GS02 (Sender Identifier):AV09311993 GS03 (Receiver Identifier):030240928 GS08 (Version): 004010X092A1 GS04 (Date):CCYYMMDD GS05 (Time):HHMMSS GS06 (EDI Group Control Number):000000002

While reviewing the Availity EDI Guide it is clear there is no GE segment in the batch generated by OpenEMR. Is there a successfully submitted eligibility batch to Availity?

If the answer is yes, would you please share your modified x12 Partner form or if it’s for sale, can you please email me your price. My email is paanii13@gmail.com

After numerous submissions, I finally got Availity to accept OpenEMR’s eligibility request (270).
Unfortunately, OpenEMR is unable to read the 271 reports generated by Availity.
Following are the necessary changes to make, in order for OpenEMR generated batch to be accepted. (Use EDI Notepad to make the changes.)
Item : Default Value : Correct Value Receiver Qualifier : ZZ Mutually Defined : 01 Duns (Dun & Bradstreet) Sender Identifier: AV09311993 : AV01101957 Time : HHMMSS : HHMM

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, January 19, 2012:

Hi Pimm,
Feel free to make a page on the wiki.
thanks,
-brady

blankev wrote on Friday, January 20, 2012:

Brady,

I put a compilation of this discussion in WIKI FAQ number 13

Still a bit bumpy, but it also need to get professional insight to delete the nonsense and may be need some additional professional input.

Also: You can decide you want this in a different part of the WIKI.

Please correct wherever necessary.

Pimm

aethelwulffe wrote on Friday, January 20, 2012:

Personally, I have not seen or heard of 270/271 in OpenEMR working for anyone yet.  Looking at the code, It doesn’t look like it would.
  I think we should be more worried about 835 for 5010 of course…and 270 and 271 need to be upgraded to 5010 as well.

bradymiller wrote on Friday, January 20, 2012:

Hi,

Thanks for taking the initiative Pimm, but still lots of work to do (need to get a clear set of instructions that users verify works; also appears there may be some bug fixes in order to accomplish this). I placed your text on this page:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Insurance_Eligibility_Check
And placed a link to it on the Active Projects page:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Active_Projects#Insurance_Eligibility_Check

When it’s ready and tested to work, then will place it in the online User Manual wiki page:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_4.1_Users_Guide

-brady

Brady,

could not find the copy in the Active Projects page. But made the corrections in the UNDER CONSTRUCTION PAGE.

I made some corrections and do not want, feel no confidence to do any more. From here somebody with the hands-on experience have to make the additional corrections.

Please understand that from this point I would do more damage than wanted!

Till next project, Pimm

Brady,

if Aethelwulffe is correct, feel free to delete this wholeelegibility-Availity WIKI page and let me re-write something for 835 or 5010. If provided with the particulars I can make an effort on what is working for OpenEMR and external insurance connections.

Pimm

tsvas wrote on Friday, March 16, 2012:

I am still getting the error “Duplicate Interchange Control Number”:

AVAILITY TA1 INTERCHANGE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT                   

Customer ID: “xxxxx”                     File Status: REJECTED
Date Received: 2012-03-16                Time Received: 17:24:19.725
Filename: elig 1.txt      
File Control Number: 000000001

********************************************************************************
Interchange acknowledged: TA101
********************************************************************************

Interchange Date: 120316                 Interchange Time: 1718
Interchange Status: The Transmitted Interchange Control Structure Header and Trailer are Rejected Because of Errors.
Interchange Note: Duplicate Interchange Control Number

END OF REPORT

Look what the cat dragged in.

Availity support stated that the “Duplicate Interchange Control Number” is in the response files I attached below. She said that the 00 are duplicating stating that when we bill versus when we check eligibility it is stating there is a duplicate interchange control number. When servers run she says it is denied because it is showing a duplicate

We have been trying to use the Availity Eligibility and it fails all the time. So, we have had a conversation with them about the issue, and here is the response from them.

She is saying that they each have to have their own filename
so we cannot be sending the same file names
she said you are also able to call as a Vendor
If you have an Availity user id you can use it she says
if not I can assign one to you we can reference the support ticket number she said

She said that page 8
ASC X12N 270/271 005010X279A1 Health Care Benefit Inquiry/Response (Eligibility and Benefits)
270/271 will tell us how we need to set it up for Eligibility and benefits segments on page 54 she said we cannot be submitting the same information twice
page 64
page 81
we need a brand new interchange specifically for Eligibility

she said you could build that out for us in order to submit without it stating Duplicate
so my question is do need two different accounts it sounds like we do

1. so seems we need to create a difft one specific to Eligibility with the version 005010X279A1
    instead of the ERA files > which is the current one we have version >005010X279A1

@stephenwaite is anyone working on this before I run down this rabbit hole?

you can find some old threads :slight_smile:

the interchange control number should be unique, it’s ISA13, looks like a bug

@sjpadgett built the real time eligibility so this should all be handled correctly there but would be a nice feature to add another table like sequences called edi_sequences so could use it instead of the current mechanism which is built into the billing processor for 837s, not sure about the 270 transaction.

Seems that way that I can dredge up old threads. But I think that means I am using the system properly.

We are using version 6.0.0 (3) and having this difficulty with the eligibility.

That sounds like a low-hanging fruit to start with. So, does it need to be numbers only?