My mother is a nurse practitioner who has expressed an interest in opening a home-based private practice to care for patients in our local community in rural Iowa/potential telehealth. She is unsure of what EMR system would be the best fit for her business and has tasked me with figuring that out.
I am 23 years old and an aspiring programmer with an interest in, and some experience with, IT, mostly entry-level software development and cybersecurity. Also, a big fan of open-source but I haven’t yet had the opportunity to contribute to any projects.
My questions are:
- Do you think that OpenEMR is something that I could set up for her myself?
- Is OpenEMR something that a lone developer could handle?
- What kind of timeline do you think it would take to implement OpenEMR as a solution?
- Is there a different solution or approach that you would recommend instead?
If you think I could set it up for her,
5. How would you recommend setting it up? (a cloud-based version, or should I install and configure the application on a secure, local machine?)
I understand that there would be quite a few challenges in taking up this sort of project and I want to be sure that I’m well-informed about how best to proceed. Thanks for any guidance you can provide and the work you do!