Project - Hybrid App with Image Processing

I got caught up in some checkup related to COVID-19 and it took almost 3 days so i couldn’t able to push the code earlier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Take care @im-Amitto

2 Likes

Gonna modify the priorities a bit that was recently stated on github :slight_smile:

1. Health
  2. Health
  3. Health
  4. Grades
  5. GSoc
3 Likes

neat stuff:

1 Like

Thanks for the concern, everthing is ok. Actually our college did a screening and test on everyone staying in dormitory during holidays :slight_smile:.

What should i add next in the app. Thinking of adding a Barcode/QR code scanner as it’s demanded in Project - OpenEMR Android app

As the cv19 has changed life in matter of days, immediate features that will be very useful will be :

1. Initiate a video call to an address published by emr so it will be a true video check-in. Not sure if something like Google Duo can be embedded so your app initiates the call, makes an entry as emr transaction noting the start and end time of the call if it was picked up on other end.
  2. Send encrypted messages that will be automatically entered in EMR for specific MD (as set in patient_data).
  3. Allow messages to also include pictures and potentially require patient to classify the category of those images.

@mdsupport , timelime for the GSoC projects are not meant for immediate results:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline

@im-Amitto , would be good to develop a list of features to support (barcode/qr scanner would be good since could be used to support @Rachel_Ellison work on implantable devices). Also, will this app be to support OpenEMR users or OpenEMR patients or both?

@brady.miller All suggestions are centered around images which was @im-Amitto’s original proposal. They are also expected to be few lines invoking built-in device services i.e I hope he won’t be writing qr image analyzer code but rely on other app if necessary to provide text object. Same would be true of video or photo features.
But sure.

1 Like

@mdsupport , btw, agree there is a need for telehealth with covid (this is something the institution I work at is trying to tackle now that we are migrating patients that don’t need to be seen in person to phone visits); just that goal for gsoc students at this time is to get their proposals in :slight_smile:

The current OpenEMR API supports OpenEMR users(ie. providers) auth, but not patient auth. If need to support patient auth, though, it wouldn’t be too tough to add support for that.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas @brady.miller and @mdsupport.
After hearing thoughts I have planned to implement the feature shown below.

1. Create a chat system
  2. Test the chat system for stability and security
  3. Add image/video support to the chat system.
  4. Add video call feature.
  5. Add a barcode+QRcode scanner
  6. Add a text recognition system(beta) to read medicine names.

We will see how many I can complete before March 29.

Also, I am assuming that this app is for both patients as well as users/admin because we are adding features that can benefit both sides.
Now a few questions that I have.

1. Do we have a chat system in openemr, if yes then I will be extending it to the app or else I will develop it from scratch that can be extended to the openemr?
  2. Any suggestions for the secure video calling implementation.
  3. How the patients will find the doctor, do they need to enter their email to initiate the conversation or it will work like Facebook.
    Thanks
    -Amit
1 Like

Hi Amit,

For provider to provider messaging they use a sql table called pnotes.

So to send a message you’d need to send a command to the SQL database, you’d need to know the login username of the person you’re sending the message to and the patient the message is about. The text goes in the body field.

1 Like

There’s also the ability for patients to send messages to their providers through the patient portal.

When a patient sends a message there are two copies stored in the database. A copy for the clinician and a copy for the patient. That way they each can delete, archive, etc. their copy.

This is table onsite_mail

1 Like

Thanks! for the explanation.

Hey @brady.miller,
I have submitted the draft on gsoc dashboard, let me know if their is any changes required.
Thanks
-Amit

1 Like

Hi @brady.miller,
Just wanna update you with current situation. It’s been a week since my laptop stopped working, you must have already noticed my inactivity. I have asked a friend of mine to lend his laptop and i will receive it by end of this day or in tomorrow morning.
See you @ GitHub :slight_smile:
Thanks
-amit

2 Likes

hi @im-Amitto , thanks for the update! and see you on github :slight_smile:

1 Like

@im-Amitto yes missed you a lot on github :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@brady.miller @mdsupport @sjpadgett
Updated the HOME UI. Let me know your thoughts :slight_smile:.

Next Target: QR/Barcode scanner functionality
Thanks
-Amit

2 Likes

@im-Amitto,
When it comes to UI, start with a target profile for the user and form-factor. For example,

• For a physician using tablet in the examination room, the ‘Home’ could be list of today’s appointments > Issues for selected patient > Check resolved issues or add new issue using list of common issues
  • For same physician visiting hospital, ‘Home’ could be list of patients at a facility where facility is arrived at by using GPS so without asking app can leverage features commonly available on mobile devices. Always provide fallback of user overriding the selection. From the list patients it could be > create encounter and record total time spent. Details of encounter may not be entered in this EMR but separately in that hospital’s system but billed through this EMR.
  • If logged in user is patient, the ‘Home’ would be completely different.

So it is important for you limit the scope and do it well to get feedback on interface elements - be it lists or cards etc. You always have the expanded menu to provide full scope, including upcoming features.