Program Copyright question

teryhill wrote on Sunday, March 06, 2016:

Would it make more sense to set the copyright notice to the company (OEMR or OpenEMR) instead of the individual and let the @author show the individuals. The reason is I am seeing multiple Copyright notices within some of the programs and I am not sure that is the best way of handling it.

Just a question.

Terry

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, March 08, 2016:

Hi,

This is a tough issue, since there is legacy code in the codebase where it is not clear whom the author/copyright is, which stems from early stages of development using several different repositories of which we do not have access to. Check out the wiki section where researched the origins of codebase:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Active_Projects#Attribution.2C_licensing_and_copyright_clarification

To convert the copyrights to a singular organization such as oemr would require each author/copyright holder to agree, which would be a feat because of the issues in above paragraph(as I recall also, the author is automatically the copyright holder of whatever code changes they make despite what is listed in the header). Can’t attribute to OpenEMR since it’s not a company and would need to attributed to OEMR if desired to do this. My thoughts are that this would require a lot of time and may not be possible considering the issues brought up in above paragraph.

-brady
OpenEMR

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, March 08, 2016:

We could make sure that all new code is assigned to OEMR. Not much but something…