Patient Image not displaying

aterad wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

I am trying to upload an image for a newly created patient, which was successfully uploaded in a Linux hosting environment but its not displaying. Please what can i do to solve it. Please kindly view the following image for error given.

blankev wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

Try to find the solution in WIKI pages. Look for picture or Card ID, the picture should be uploaded to a specific directory and will show next to Demographics of the Client in the first screen"summary".

I see. I think it is a matter of giving the jpg file the correct name or correct.extension or both!

aterad wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

Thanks for your comment. please take a look at the newly uploaded attachment for further explanations. I uploaded it to patient photograph under patient information of patient documents. Thanks

blankev wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

Where should I look? There are so many demo’s, or local or Servers… :wink:

blankev wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

Stupid me. I did not look at your first post. One important note to make is that the picture must have a certain amount of pixles. The less the better. Size etc.

blankev wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

In the Demo:

I included the solution. Under the mushroom there is a gremlin that can teach the trick. My picture is 6.5Mb obvious way to big as can be seen in the slow showing of the picture.

take a peak at: the Frank Faulkner status. Will reset every week, so you might have to go there while it is available.

fsgl wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

Seems to be another problem with the host. Consult support.

fsgl wrote on Monday, December 15, 2014:

New York State Confidentiality laws are more severe than HIPAA.

If these are actual patients in the website, take this very seriously.

aterad wrote on Thursday, December 18, 2014:


I have contacted the host as you told me, but there response was, if i will like to change the server? so here are my questions sir,
a. is changing of the server going to ensure and solve the problems.

b. Apart from the fact that patient pix is not showing on the patient page, the following error is given whenever i navigate to the patient photographs under patient documents

"” cannot be displayed because it contains errors. "

so hence, is there any PHP settings in the host that needs to be done so that i can inform them, otherwise what can i do, please.


fsgl wrote on Thursday, December 18, 2014:

If the server is to be changed, then it would make sense to purchase another device & not have OpenEMR hosted.

I think that even if this problem is resolved, another one will pop up because hosting limits functionalities & control.

With localhost, a .jpeg file is retrieved from Pictures (My Documents or Home directory) & then uploaded to Documents in OpenEMR.

Ask support which folder in the host acts like Pictures. Try sending the .jpeg file to that folder. While in Documents (OpenEMR), browse to that folder & try uploading again.

blankev wrote on Friday, December 19, 2014:

Try using another name for your picture. " : " and spaces, can give the problem of not showing. pict.jpg might give the result you want. Every patient has it’s own picture, so there is nothing agains naming all pict.jpg

aterad wrote on Saturday, December 27, 2014:

Compliment of the season to you all.

Please i will like to know which file handles the patient image display for each of the patients. The host asked the following question
“Did you use following function in your script?
so i will like to know if fpassthru function is used in the file.

please check your mail, i have sent you a reply. Thanks

yehster wrote on Saturday, December 27, 2014:

Yes, fpassthru is used:

fsgl wrote on Saturday, December 27, 2014:

Merry Christmas, Timothy.

Are you able to upload an image to one of the host folders & from there to Documents/Patient ID Card?

Look in openemr/controllers/C_Document.class.php. If the user opens a frame in another tab, the path will appear in the URL address box.

Sorry, the reply has been lost in cyberspace.

aterad wrote on Sunday, December 28, 2014:

The host said the fpassthru() function is disabled for security reasons. I later found out that most host disable this function for the same reasons adduced. However, the problem has been solved. i had to change the function by editing the file.
I used “echo stream_get_contents” function.

Thanks to you all for your contribution and special thanks to @fsgl and @kevin Yeh

bradymiller wrote on Sunday, December 28, 2014:

Related interesting post on stackoverflow regarding this topic:

Reviving this topic. It is happening again after 6 years. That was a good run. If I get time I will try to take a look at this.

Found that mine has nothing to do with the code. The files are being corrupted on upload. Trying to figure it out.