Patient Finder Search

I don’t know if this is a bug but it started happening when we upgraded to openemr 5.0. Before in 4.2.1, whenever someone does a search for a patient, they could easily type the following for a patient named John Doe:

Do,J

it would list that combo. Now in 5.0 if you try to do some of the last name, first 2 characters of the first name, it displays nothing. This is very time consuming especially if someone comes in with the last name smith, there are so many records for that search.

is there a way to fix this?

Currently i’m running 5.0 (2). I was going to do the patch later today to (3) but i’m not sure that will fix it.

Edward, rather than trying to fix that issue, I have a modification to the patient search function that is even better, allowing rapid keyboard input rather than the slower mouse clicks. When Patients (in left nav bar under “Patient/Client”) is clicked, the usual patient search page displays, with the cursor already defaulted to the Full Name field. As you type in the patient’s last name then first name, a drop-down displays all patients with the same name. Press down arrow until the desired patient is highlighted, then press enter.
I’ve used it extensively on v4.2.2 and just upgraded to v5.0, where it has worked fine for the past 2 week.
I’m happy to share this with you and the OEMR community if there’s interest.

I am so interested in this.

Awesome! I’m definitely interested. Thank you!

agreed, patient search optimization helps everyone

Hi Ptalerico,

Do you happen to have the code for the search function you mentioned?

Thanks,

Edward

I have requested the code from my developers. I’m not sure what to do after that–is there a place on the github for posting such things?

Hi @ptalerico ,

Definitely ideal to place code on github as a Pull Request on the OpenEMR repo here:

Here’s a git/github OpenEMR tutorial:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Git_for_dummies

-brady