Optometry/Ophthalmology practices?

eyeballz80 wrote on Thursday, November 17, 2011:

Hello,
To give you some context, I’m an optometrist and python programmer.  I have a private practice in Olympia, WA.  I’ve found nothing in the way of open source vision care software.  Most of the closed source stuff is Windows only (cringe) and not very customizable to my needs (we do some specialty stuff most eye doctors don’t do.) 

OpenEMR seems to be the most promising option I have found. The major roadblock seems to be the product inventory, which needs to have categories for spectacle frames, lenses, and contact lenses, for which there are a number of parameters that need to be specified.  Another issue would be creating prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses.

I’ve found a few threads in this forum about people expressing interest in using OpenEMR for optometry, but does anyone know if this has actually happened or is being worked on?  I would be willing work on this or contribute in any way I can.  I have experience with mysql, xml, css, but not PHP (but I’d be willing to learn though.)

Any information/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Levi

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, November 17, 2011:

Levi,

My company currently has a few new customers that are Opthamologists so we are developing tools to meet that need.  All of them also have Optometry practices attached or sharing space.   We have not reached the level of discussions around that need just yet, but we would be interested moving toward some features for this category, as would our clients.  Drop me a line if you like.

Tony

tony ‘@’ mi-squared.com

hecardo wrote on Friday, November 18, 2011:

Levi

My company has been working on a eye exam form for several months now. If you would like to look at what we are working on email me richarddwilliams ‘@’ mac.com

Rick

sunsetsystems wrote on Friday, November 18, 2011:

Hey guys, if you want to address the question please do that here.  The purpose of these forums is to facilitate open discussion of OpenEMR.  A “contact me to see what we’re doing” is not that.  Thank you.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

tmccormi wrote on Saturday, November 19, 2011:

Unfortunately what I’m working on in this can’t be addressed in the forum,  Not my choice, it’s the Dr that created it as a proprietary solution.   I’m just a reseller in this case.
-Tony

eyeballz80 wrote on Wednesday, November 23, 2011:

I think I could make my own eye exam form easily enough.  As far as the optical dispensary side goes, it sounds like there would have to be some sort of custom add-on that could be installed.

I guess the options would be:
-Pick up some PHP skills and work on it myself.  I’ve been poking around the source code, and OpenEMR seems more straightforward than other EMR code I’ve seen.  PHP does not exactly look like a pretty language though!
-Hire someone who is familiar with OpenEMR to do it.  What’s the going rate these days?
-Forget it and find something else.

Any idea on if doing this would affect EMR certification?     

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, November 23, 2011:

There is a Snellen Eye exam form located in the openemr/contribs/forms directory that I contributed a while back.  The graphic pain map form we developed can also be backed with a ‘eye ball’ graphic and and the pop up notes be changed to meet the need for visual eye notes.   Creating a form for lens/optical tracking could be done with the LBV / LBF model + Nation Notes and requires no programming skills. Then all really needs is it use inventory/product management.

Custom forms typically take 4-8 hrs development work.  Hourly rates vary from developer to developer.  Code that can be contributed back into the project typicallyt takes longer than code that is usable but not “up to standard”.

Tony
www.mi-squared.com / @tonymi2
oemr.org / @OEMR_org

jade081868 wrote on Monday, February 06, 2017:

Has anyone created an eye exam form that works well for optometry?

Just wondering if you are still using OpenEMR and how the eye exam form is working for you.

How do I find that directory? (openemr/contribs/forms directory)
Update: found an eye exam form at http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Contributed_Forms

bradymiller wrote on Monday, February 06, 2017:

Hi,

There is an amazing new eye form that is included in OpenEMR 5.0.0 (should be released in several weeks hopefully). Check out the following demo:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Development_5.0.0_Demo

Create a user and then a new encounter and then select the Clinical->Eye Form

-brady
OpenEMR