OpenEMR User Creation and Password Reset

tmcglaun wrote on Wednesday, September 10, 2014:

Hello OpenEMR community!

I am building an employee onboard/offboard solution as well self service password reset. I am wanting to incorporate building the OpenEMR user account during the employee onboard as well as setting the user’s password to the same password that the user uses for Active Directory. The problem that I am having is that I am unfamiliar with how to hash/salt the password. I know where this needs to go in the database but I am unsure of how to do this kind of hashing.

Can someone help me with this please??

Any help would be appreciated!

visolveemr wrote on Thursday, September 11, 2014:

Hello Trey

Updating the OpenEMR password similar to Active Directory requires to maintain a script to update the changes in OpenEMR whenever the password changes in Active Directory.

Instead of this, OpenEMR authentication can be customized to have ‘Active Directory Authentication’ (bypassing the normal database authentication). This will be more secure and only the authenticated active directory user can be able to access OpenEMR.

Thanks
OpenEMR Customization/Support Team,
ViSolve Inc
services@visolve.com
Demo’s @ ViSolve Demo Library

tmcglaun wrote on Thursday, September 11, 2014:

That is great to know! Can you point me in the right direction for building an LDAP/AD connection?

Thanks for your help!

Additionally, I am perfectly happy to script changing the password in OpenEMR. I just don’t know what the call would be to update the ‘users_secure’ table with the password and salt. I already have MySQL scripts to create the user, tie them to a location, and enable them. I have no idea how to do the hashing for the password.

yehster wrote on Thursday, September 11, 2014:

1 Like

Kevin,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I have never used php in the past and after googling all night last night I’m not sure how to leverage this externally. Is there a way to run a command or powershell script that would pass this function in the php file the parameters?

I’m sure this is a serious newb question but my systems management experience doesn’t lend well to this kind of solution.

Again, I appreciate the help.

visolveemr wrote on Friday, September 12, 2014:

Hello Trey

For Our Customers we have used PHP LDAP Functions (like ldap_connect, ldap_bind,…) to connect with any active directory servers.

Thanks
OpenEMR Customization/Support Team,
ViSolve Inc
services@visolve.com
Demo’s @ ViSolve Demo Library

tmcglaun wrote on Friday, September 12, 2014:

I found the Function.pdf file that discusses how to use auth.inc functions to add and delete users as well as changing passwords. Can someone give me an example of how that functionality would work? I do not know the syntax for those commands.

I tried to install openemr on ubuntu based lightsail aws instance. The default login and password was working fine as it was the new installation. Then i tried installing an SSL by creating a load balancer on my lightsail instance. Now, open emr portal gives me an error “Invalid username and password”.

Can anyone help me here please?

Please open a new thread with your issue. This thread is over 7 years old. You may also try contacting one of the vendors.

sure. Thank you for your response