OpenEMR standard edition on AWS

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have installed and deployed OpenEMR standard on AWS through cloudformation. Everything is working fine but before I start adding data I want to make sure I can backup and restore.

I have looked at the documentation and github. There is a recovery stack available on github that I have not used at this time.

Question

1. where is the backup stored? i can not find /root/backups

2. The only docker running is OpenEMR no mysql. Is this how it is supposed to be?

3. does the above restore process recover the OpenEMR settings and all the patient data with any uploaded documents?

4. Is this install different than the lightsail install?

thank you

Atif

here are the developer’s notes openemr-devops/packages/standard at master · openemr/openemr-devops · GitHub

thank you

I downloaded the recovery template and when i try to make a new stack using cloud formation I get this error

Template error: Fn::Select cannot select nonexistent value at index 1

any suggestions?

thanks

Can you clip the relevant portion of the template? I found that I was able to install the AWS Standard Edition as long as I used the “default” template and did not try to load it myself (even without making any changes). I suspect that you will need to ask a “cloud formation” expert to see what documented or undocumented “feature” is giving you trouble. It might be something as silly as line wrapping of the commands in the template … (a wild guess).
Good luck,
–RBL

Hi @Atif_Mian1 @Atif_Mian - would you mind sharing how you’ve deployed (installed) the Standard version to AWS? What is to be done after the CloudFormation is done? (largely pressed Next, Next, Next from the Marketplace link as almost everything was filled out…>) - what next?

Appreciate thank you
R

@drracz
So after you installed the standard version to AWS, you will want to figure out what the IP address of your web server is. Go to the AWS Console. Under “Find Services,” Type “EC2” and hit return. EC2 will show up. Choose it.

After this, the “EC2 Dashboard” will appear.

Resources
You are using the following Amazon EC2 resources in the US XXXX region:

1 Running Instances
0 Dedicated Hosts
…

Choose the “1 Running Instances”
Think of the instance as your “server” or “webserver” … think of it as it’s own standalone computer, even though it’s just software running on a large computer … that you and other users will interact with to enter and view information.

There is also a separate RDS database instance that you can look at if you search for the RDS service in AWS Console.

Anyway, you will see a table with one running instance and the following columns. That instance will be selected and more details about that instance are further down on the screen. What you want to look for is “Public DNS (IPv4)” … this is the web address for your OpenEMR webserver. Copy this field. It will look something like this: ec2-xx-yyy-zzz-aaa.compute-x.amazonaws.com
Now connect to your OpenEMR instance by typing copying that web address into a web browser like Chrome or Internet Explorer. Hit “enter” to go to the address.

The OpenEMR login screen will appear. Enter the credentials for the administrator account that you created during the installation and start using the program.

You will eventually want to connect to the instance directly through ssh. Read more about how to connect to your instance in the AWS documentation and ask on this forum if you run into any problems. The first thing you will probably want to do is schedule regular (daily) backups of the database of all the EMR information. I would recommend making a snapshot image of the instance you created and the database instance. That way you can restore them if you mess them up during an upgrade, customization, etc.

Enjoy!
–Ralf

1 Like

Thank you Ralf for the accurate help - Works!

1 Like