Openemr permission issues

Hi, I have installed the latest version of openemr on my Fedora linux laptop and when I get to the OpenEMR set up page, I am asked to:
In linux, recommend changing file permissions with the ‘chmod 666 filename’ command.
Tried to change the permission of the file but it does not happen even in root

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version 7.0.2

Browser:
I’m using: Chrome and Firefox
Operating System
I’m using: Linux Fedora 40

Search
I tried but could not find anything.

Logs
I cannot get to the logs as I cannot past the set up part.

you have to logged in as root.
try sudo su n enter ur root password. then try chmod 0777 or whatever file permission u need to give.

1 Like

Look at some of the instructions in this guide to see if it’s helpful for you when it comes to permission during installation. It’s for an older version of OpenEMR though, but it worked for me very well: How To Install OpenEMR on Ubuntu 20.04 with a LAMP Stack (Apache, MySQL, PHP) | DigitalOcean

1 Like

thank you. I tried that but i had no success.

thank you. this is a tutorial for ubuntu. I have followed a similar tutorial but Fedora has a slightly different file system. no success so far.

what is the exact error that you are getting… might not be related to file permissions.

1 Like

Maybe you should change the owner: chown -R apache:apache ./openemr

1 Like

I tried that as well. I am a bit lost…

The set up page ask me to change the permission to 666 for the sqlconf.php
I tried.

login as root in the terminal usng sudo su… goto the directory/sites/default
try chmod 0777 sqlconf.php

if the error happens pl post the error.

1 Like

So I have tried and the same message comes up:

Welcome to OpenEMR. This utility will step you through the installation and configuration of OpenEMR for your practice.

• Before proceeding, be sure that you have a properly installed and configured MySQL server available, and a PHP configured webserver.
  • Detailed installation instructions can be found in the ‘INSTALL’ manual file.
  • If you are upgrading from a previous version, DO NOT use this script. Please read the ‘Upgrading’ section found in the ‘INSTALL’ manual file.

We will now ensure correct file and directory permissions before starting installation:

Ensuring following file is world-writable…

UNABLE to open file ‘/var/www/html/openemr/sites/default/sqlconf.php’ for writing.
(configure file permissions; see below for further instructions)

You can’t proceed until all above files are ready (world-writable).

In linux, recommend changing file permissions with the ‘chmod 666 filename’ command.

ok so I found out the issue. SELinux was the problem and stopped me from changing the permission on sqlconf.php
Changed the mod to permissive and it would allow me to change the files permission. Then I changed the SElinux mod to enforcing and all is good.
Thank you all for your help.