OpenEMR Official Docker has been released!

Check out this thread for instructions on using OpenEMR docker on Ubuntu 18.04:

Tested and updated installation instruction.

1 Like

I had a lot of hurdles to jump through yet I managed to compile and run OpenEMR’s docker on my Raspberry Pi (this isn’t ideal yet it is possible to do).

I tried the labs.play docker on ubuntu 18.04 but no luck. Everything gets built and i do see 80 and 443 links. But on clicking i get
" This page isn’t working

ip172-18-0-50-bq9ctjtim9m000e1nta0-80.direct.labs.play-with-docker.com didn’t send any data."

I have enabled pop ups and it is not a CORS issue either.

hi @Atul_Kumthekar , Which labs.play docker link to you try?

Are these dockers still working? I am trying to troubleshoot my installation by comparing a docker install to mine (since I am running an nginx install.)
These are not opening for me.
Are these still good?
I am running
FreeBSD 12.1
Nginx 1.18.0
Mysql 5.7
PHP7.4
Openemr 5.0.2v2
The portal is not working for me. I would like to make sure my install is complete first before I start posting my logs.
Please help. Consider me whining!

hi @gutiersa ,
Yep, all still going (all these environments/dockers are tested in travis in github; ie. pull requests and new commits start a new testing run). Notably, though, the portal is not tested and I would not be surprised if there may be problems with the patient portal on nginx, since nobody has really deeply tested/used it on nginx and it involves a apache .htaccess rewrite that was converted to nginx without much testing.

I do have that line but in the context of:

if (!-e $request_filename) {

should I remove the if part?
Why am I not able to access the docker site?
When I click on the port a new window opens saying the site cannot be reached.
isnt the sandbox supposed to show me the running site too?

Well, maybe if you tell me where in the openemr file system the portal is, then I can figure out the rewrite rules for nginx
Also, where is the documentation for the modules? If I can read up on that, may if I can figure that out, then that can help me with the portal as well.
Thanks again.

hi @gutiersa ,

Above is also in context of if (!-e $request_filename) {. Here’s the link to the full nginx script:
openemr/nginx.conf at master · openemr/openemr · GitHub

What docker setup are you using now (just paste the docker-compose.yml here)?

Portal is in the /portal directory.

I’ll try out the portal on nginx via the insane docker dev environment (openemr/contrib/util/docker at master · openemr/openemr · GitHub) soon since currently trying to figure out how to get the API to work on nginx.

Yes, I am using it from the master at github.

Just posted a OpenEMR Kubernetes solution in the devops repo along with updates to the official dockers (6.0.0-dev and flex series) to support it (especially to support multiple instances/replicas of OpenEMR). Would not consider it production quality, but will be a good working, starting point, and hopefully open the door to a myriad of other kubernetes based solutions:
openemr-devops/kubernetes/minikube at master · openemr/openemr-devops · GitHub

1 Like

Is the future of OpenEMR will be focusing on Docker and Linux only?

I have Mint and is willing to switch to Docker if that is the route.

thank you

Hi @cornutaurus ,

You’ll get varied answers on the benefits of docker in production (probably 80% for it and 20% against) and on the question of windows versus windows (guessing 95% would rec linux over windows). All the cloud based OpenEMR packages (aws and google) are based on a docker footprint, so docker is a godsend in that context in terms of releasing/maintaining cloud distributions. Another very nice advantage is not needing to worry about dependencies on the server (which basically just needs support for docker and docker-compose and nothing else). On the development side of things, dockers have been revolutionary for lots of OpenEMR developers, since allows quick ramping up of new developers and allows lots of development utilities to speed up development and testing. If you search this forum, will likely find discussions on benefits of containers/dockers and linux over windows.

Notably, the OpenEMR docker setups can also be run from Windows (if have Professional).

2 Likes

Hi Brady,
Please, what’s the login details of these openemr installations. I have actually installed it on my laptop, but I can’t log in because I don’t know the credentials. I have tried root/root, admin/admin, root/no pass, admin/no pass etc. None have worked.

The first time you log in to a fresh installation of OpenEMR you will need to log in as “admin” with a password of “pass” .

https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started

1 Like

Thank you so much. I appreciate.

1 Like

@brady.miller is there a way I can use the docker for openemr but have the MySQL running on the host VM?

Sure. Crack open the docker-compose file and take a good look at it – it’s establishing two containers, a MySQL container and then an OpenEMR container, and that second container is being passed database credentials.

So make your own docker-compose that only starts one container, and give it the credentials to the database (whether local or remote) that you’d prefer, and you’ll be good.

1 Like

Just got a new pi and looking to try this out. I ran the “docker pull openemr/openemr” command and all pulls were complete but now am not sure what to do. The guides are pretty confusing. I would like to access the online GUI to set up/login as admin. Anyone able to get it working? I think the instructions document could use some dumbing down.

1 Like