OpenEMR in Optometry Practices?

dskaggs wrote on Monday, July 30, 2007:

Anyone here have (or know of any who has) any experiences they can share of using OpenEMR in an optometry practice?  My father-in-law is being forced to move from the software he has used for over 15 years and we started experimenting with OpenEMR yesterday afternoon. We are currently running the VMWare version on his existing Windows 2003 server (as an aside, many thanks to the person(s) responsible for putting that together).

I’d be curious to know if anyone is currently using the system for their optometry practice before we invest a lot of time trying to “tweak” the system (codes etc) to make it work for him.

Thanks for any info,

Dan Skaggs
Columbia, TN

nthurman wrote on Thursday, December 31, 2009:

Dan,
did have you had any success in implementing the optometry practice?   My eye doctor is looking for a solution and before I presented OpenEMR as an alternative I wanted to see if it was already deployed in a practice.

alam807 wrote on Thursday, May 06, 2010:

Did you get any update on using OpenEMR for Optometry practice? I am evaluating the product to see how much customization this would require for an Optometry Practice.

Anyone has any experience on the subject, please share.

Thank you.

rdevkota wrote on Saturday, May 08, 2010:

We would be interested to see how much of customization needed to have it done for the Optometry. We also have an eye doctor asking for it and also have the off shore developers willing to code for it. Will be interesting to see what you find out - may be we could work together on this so that costs can be shared? info@cloudarya…com

cadprofessor wrote on Monday, May 10, 2010:

I am in the process of setting OpenEMR for an Optometrist.  I am a noobie to openEMR so it will take a while to get up to speed.  I will keep you posted.  I have already found several issues in the past few days I have been working with the software.  In terms of how it will function in a small eye doctors office.

cadprofessor wrote on Wednesday, May 19, 2010:

Update….
After playing with openemr for about a week and getting great help and feed back from those on the forums I have come to a road block.  I understand now how to enter other items sold under inventory.  This area was designed for drugs. It seems just to limited for the even a small Optometry practice I  am working with.  For example I was able to move a 22,0000 patient database along with all employment data into openemr without a lot of problems. 

When it come to inventory it is a different story.  I have a database with 100’s of frames and other items that I can not figure out where to put the data in the databases that are being used by the inventory function. 

If there is anyone out there that have any ideas I would love to hear from you.  Thanks again for all the help……

sunsetsystems wrote on Wednesday, May 19, 2010:

The “drugs” inventory support works for products other than drugs, but does not have any special attributes for such products.  Could you be more specific as to the data that you need to record?  I’m sure that with a bit of development work, the system could be enhanced to deal with it.  This is the big payoff for using open source.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

open-eye-doc wrote on Sunday, December 04, 2011:

Rod,
I am an optometrist and would need a bit more inventory options to make openEMR work for my office.  My current management ‘software’ allows for fame manufacturer, style number/name, color, Asize, DBLsize, wholesale cost, retail cost, inventory levels.  Thats really about all the information I’d need.  BUT, my optical is small and has about 400 specific frames at a given time, and new frames are added all the time.  So, at the fee slip having all frames listed in a single dropdown box would be cumbersome.  Perhaps a mini search window on the fee slip to narrow inventory item selection by manufacturer would sufficient.  Currently, for a give fee slip line item, our software allows for searching by multiple parameters for a frame.  We just use manufacturer and then select a frame from among, say, 50 specific models.

Some pms optical software integrates bar coding and the like.  That is overkill for us.  We just need to keep tabs on hundreds of specific frames, add the quickly to fee slips, and print inventory reports, such as stock status, from time to time.

Any update on eye care specific enhancements?  wbguicy(at)gmail.com

Hello Rod,
Did you ever get this solved about the frame inventory? I have an optometrist who is looking into this program, and the frame inventory is an issue that I need to solve. Please let me know what you do about this problem.
Thank you for all your help and information