OPEN EMR CLOUD issues new user and RXNORM and performance

Situation
Setup up cloud express on t3 micro it comes with 2 virtual cpu cores and 1 gig of ram.
on AWS.
I have noticed it resting at 53 percent cpu utilization with nothing happening and 93 percent ram utilization.
I tried to install rxnorm. external sources by docker cp to the contrib rxnorm folder.

the whole server froze at near 100 percent utilization for all of last night and was unreachable this morning. I rebooted the instance. it was still frozen. I stopped the instance and then had to force stop th einstance and then i was able to restart the instance. It says Rxnorm was installed but…only the web API works when trying to create a prescription. I suspect it wasnt installed properly.

MY QUESTION.
the procedure for installing rxnorm using docker cp of the file, was that correct ?
is a t3 micro actually too small if its behaving like this after setup with no real load.

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version 7

Browser:
EDGE

Operating System
I’m using:

Logs
Did you check the logs?
Was there anything pertinent in them?
Please paste them here (surround with three backticks (```) for readability.
You can also turn on User Debugging under Administration->Globals->Logging User Debugging Options=>All

More information to add. Was reading that with t3 servers if run at 50% or higher cpu for long enough will use CPU credits rapidly. Once these are all used up the server gets throttled. If that is what happened to me, It may have been triggered by trying to import the RXnorm database on the t3.micro server.

I think
RXNorm must be installed from Admin / Coding / Native Data Load (Not external), following the instructions.

I run my test development server on a micro instance, but at times when I’m doing heavy lifting (rebuilding stylesheets, large data imports such as RXNorm), I stop the machine, change the instance size to a large or 2xlarge and run my load. I can then stop the machine and change the instance back to the micro to save costs when I’m testing things out.

I’m not sure why you hit 50% CPU if you have no load on it, I’m usually at the 10-15% threshold when running if nothing is hitting the website. It makes me think you have something stalled out.

1 Like