Open EMR - 5.0.2. - Windows or Linux

Hi @ncavalier ,
Ubuntu is a good OS to learn linux on. And would rec using the OpenEMR docker on top of that.
-brady

Yeap - Sorry - We should have added that earlier and agree with Brady’s view.
In few mins, you will be ready to go with OpenEMR docker Express Edition in AWS!

I agree that Ubuntu is the best choice for beginning Linux and its also a great choice if you are advanced in Linux. One of the top reasons would be that there is a large number of resources and information for Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu on a friends computer that was old and slow. We removed Windows and installed Ubuntu and the computer ran like new. She isn’t the most technical person but she learned how to use Google to fix problems that she ran into. Rarely does she need assistance with her computer now.

1 Like

I found very good instruction-article - how to install OpenENR on Linux

1 Like

After spending my whole weekend to learn Linux, I did step by step installation, and stuck on the step 2 OpenEMR setup.

Step 3 - Creating Database and First UserConnecting to MySQL Server… ERROR . Check your login credentials. unable to connect to database as user: ‘openemr’

We did this process twice on two separate computers, and got the same problem.

You are selecting the option that the database already exists, so it is looking for a database called openemr on your server. If this is a fresh install on a new operating system, chances are the database isn’t on this server. My recomendation is to select “have setup create a database”, call it openemr_test, then import the existing database once the OpenEMR install is complete.

Thank you Daniel.
I tried your way, but receiving same error message.
I did step by step installation, by article I posted before, created openemr database, before started setup process. No any errors till Step 2.

You may want to verify that you are using the correct root password.

Yes root password is correct
I check all passwords, and did them all the same, reinstalled Linux Mint 19.3 twice, did all over again, same problem again and again.

can you login to mysql on the command line with the user you created with the guide?

really cool way to spin up openemr is with docker :whale:
install docker and docker-compose then place the yml file in the directory of your choosing and docker-compose up -d :sunny:

Is a docker cloud base server, or it can be used on local server?

hi @ncavalier, either or

My recommendation is to always have a local server with it being backed up to the cloud. The main reason being that your access to OpenEMR is 100% dependent on Internet access. Outages happen, rarely, but they do happen. In the case of a natural or human caused disaster where medical practices may be overwhelmed with patients, not having access to your EMR could cause unwarranted stress making the situation worse.

1 Like

Could it bet the login name is Admin and password is pass

I have Linux Mint. My EMR version is still 5.0.1(7). This is what I used

Install with Ubuntu

I don’t know if mySQL allows a username: admin password:pass combo. You will need to know the root password to create a database or you will need a user that has root privileges.

Transferred 5.0.1 from Windows to Linux, and very satisfied with easy installation process.
But after upgrade to 5.0.2(3) system very slowdown to respond.
Just purchased the new computer Dell - i5/8gb memory, and reinstalled OpenEMR to new comp.
Same problem. Reinstalled 5.0.1.(6) - very fast system respond, after upgrade to 5.0.2(3) system slowing down, and very slow to respond, and some times needs to wait up to 10-15 sec. to localhost respond. Reinstalled 3 times, and same problem all the time. Installed patch 3, no any changes.

Can you tell us what features you have turned on and what logging levels?
Much changed between 501 and 502. We tuned logging but measures/cdr hasn’t changed much accept I tuned some for patch 4.

I didn’t changed anything, just upgrade to 502 and installed last patch.
501 flying, and after upgrade just slowing down. No any error messages during upgrade and after.

Is this logging level info?

namespace Doctrine\ORM\Cache\Logging;

use Doctrine\ORM\Cache\CollectionCacheKey;
use Doctrine\ORM\Cache\EntityCacheKey;
use Doctrine\ORM\Cache\QueryCacheKey;

/**