OEMR at HIMSS in Chicago Apr 13-16

tmccormi wrote on Friday, April 03, 2015:

I hope any of you that will be there can stop by and say hi and help us spread the word about the project. These events are huge and valuable to the community as a means of getting the word out that there is a better solution.

Dr Joe Cohen (KiddoEMR a pediatric fork of OpenEMR) spent most of the two days with us at SXSW and ended up with an interview at the wall Street Journal, he’s on his way to talk to the UK Ministry of Health about OpenEMR next week.

We’ll be sharing a table with Columbia University, in “university row” , I hope to liven up that area. As you know Universities are rapidly adopting OpenEMR and other FOSS solutions as core parts of their educational offering and Columbia has been instrumental in contributing student help on the MU2 certification project.

So, if you are planning on being a HIMSS please stop by an say thanks to Virginia and her team.

Attached: the OEMR booth banner, donated by mi-squared.

–Tony

bradymiller wrote on Saturday, April 04, 2015:

Very cool stuff!
-brady

sunsetsystems wrote on Sunday, April 05, 2015:

That is one colorful banner!

Best of luck at the show.

Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

drjoecohen wrote on Wednesday, April 08, 2015:

The banner does look great Tony! Anyone else needing printer services go to capital banner. They are very affordable.

HIMMS is a great organization and I am sure Tony will make many good connections like at SXSW. I have met Emma Cartmel who runs HIMMS Austin who might be a good resource.

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, April 14, 2015:

Today was a good day at HIMSS… I spent much of the morning with the staff from Columbia University talking to folks that walked up about the project and had great response. The new banner pulled in good traffic for the traditionally low flow area of “University Row”

I visited with UTHealth and talked to the doctor that brought OpenEMR into their program originally and we discussed the possibility of working with the community to get deidentified data for the universities to use in Analytics related class work.

I spoke with the Universities of Florida, and Washington as well as Oregon Health Sciences Univ. about adding OpenEMR to their HIT curriculum and they were enthusiastic, I intend to talk to all 30 represented university programs before the week is out.

I also meet with 3 startups that would like to use OpenEMR to test their interfaces, mostly mobile, clinical decision apps of various types.

And finally I spent a great deal of time with Elliot Frantz of Virtue Security who has been doing Penetration/Security testing against OpenEMR and has a wealth of information about where can (and must) harden OpenEMR. I’ll be getting the full report from him this week. (Brady got a earlier version a while back). Turns out a lot of what we (MI2 and Ensoftek) have done for Peace Corps will be needed. Auto Increment IDs are too easy to hack by sequentially walking the data once you get in.

This is the kind of promotional work that is mission critical to our long term success as a project and it’s fun too!

By the way, Sena (of Visolve) Dr Bob Hoyt both say Hi!

Wish you were all here!

–Tony
OEMR Prez

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, April 15, 2015:

Talked to several more universities today and all are excited about the possibility of using OpenEMR.

Meet Daniel of DrChronos, what a pleasure.

Talked to several more projects about integrations with OpenEMR and spent a great deal of time talking about the possibilities that could be had by creating a collaborative ways to share data from end users up stream for data analytics… This could be a source of funding for the OEMR for projects in the long run.

Met with Dr. Michael Brody for a while, he was instrumental in the early work getting MU1 certification and is going to jump in with some possible solutions and help for use with MU2.

and, on the not OpenEMR yet front … there is a really cool project by PenRad that takes progress notes (voice recognition or otherwise) and maps them instantly to SNOMED/ICD10/RXNORM/LOINC etc … blew my socks off, really! Also it is designed to allow non programmers to improve the results by building new mappings all via drag and drop.

Tony

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, April 15, 2015:

Also … This is the hottest topic going right now: FHIR (pronounced FIRE)…

http://wiki.hl7.org/index.php?title=FHIR

This EHR data mapping schema/protocol will essentially, and very quickly. replace CCD/CCR and C-CDA for patient data sharing (and lot’s more)

Looking for something cool and current to become an expert at in the HIT industry?
This is it.

rnagul wrote on Wednesday, April 15, 2015:

Tony, Sounds like you are having fun. your are right FHIR is coming up in many a conversation these days.

Ramesh

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, April 16, 2015:

Hey check this out … I don;t know who posted it, but it came to me in the daily HIMSS mobile report …