OA-Rx for Electronic Prescribing

jed1 wrote on Wednesday, March 16, 2016:

Has anybody used the Free Office Ally OA-Rx for escribing?It appears that one can transmit controlled substance Rx.

fsgl wrote on Wednesday, March 16, 2016:

Is it necessary to have their Practice Mate/EHR applications to use OA-Rx?

Is it compatible with OE?

If incompatible, Allscripts has worked well in the past. New York physicians require more credentialing & different login now as as result of I-STOP.

jed1 wrote on Wednesday, March 16, 2016:

I think it can be used as a stand alone product.I was under the impression that the non deluxe version of Allscripts that OEMR uses does not allow for electronic transmission for controlled substances.I was thinking that perhaps using a greasemonkey type script could be used to intergrate into OEMR.
I think the NY requirement for e-scribing has been extended until March 27 2016.

E-prescribing may have been delayed to the end of this month, but not the I-STOP stuff.

You’re right about narcotics & paid version of Allscripts:

Electronic prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) is available in Allscripts ePrescribe with an upgrade to the Deluxe EPCS edition. To begin transmitting controlled substance prescriptions to enabled pharmacies, either contact the ePrescribe sales team at ePrescribe@allscripts.com or purchase online using your credit card. EPCS requires an additional fee to the existing Allscripts Deluxe edition. Each provider enrolling for EPCS in the Deluxe EPCS edition will be required to go through an online identity proofing process and will receive a key fob token that generates a one-time password required for signing the electronically sent controlled substance prescriptions.

How annoying.

There is the option of free Allscripts for the regular meds & old fashioned paper for the controlled substances.

For folks in New York this workaround may not be available.

If OA-Rx is compatible with OE, not too many hoops to jump through & they don’t demand a pound of flesh as payment; let us know so we can update the Wiki article.

Attached (page 6 of .pdf) does not suggest standalone.

One can always call them, 360-975-7000, Option 1 or Option 2 for clarification.

fsgl wrote on Sunday, March 20, 2016:

Found this webpage that OA-Rx can be used as standalone module.

If it’s a free service for all 50 states, we should ask Marcin if he could help with a Greasemonkey script for Surescripts.

Folks in New York may not have to pay if the only requirement is I-STOP enrollment.

Sure beats paying for Deluxe Allscripts + other fees for prescribing controlled substances. If it’s cheaper all around, we definitely should contact Marcin.

E-prescribing means efficiency & lower operating costs for local retail pharmacies & wholesellers, so there is a financial incentive for them to unwrite this. It follows the same model used for health insurance carriers.

I’ll email OA for details & report back.

I hate to revive an old thread, but is anyone ePrescribing controlled substances with OpenEMR yet? Any news on using OA-Rx for this?

1 Like