NYS Prescription Printing

ecavalier wrote on Thursday, March 27, 2014:

I’m trying to print RX prescription from CAMOS, but the original setting only for landscape mode. I changed all margins to zero and printed in landscape mode, and it not printing right, because NYS EMR prescription designed for portrait mode on upper left side of the paper.

How can I change margins in CAMOS Rx form, to print my prescriptions?
Is there is any other ways to print prescriptions from EMR?

fsgl wrote on Thursday, March 27, 2014:

Install this tool and adjust margins accordingly.

Trust that you are aware of this mandate for e-prescribe.

Thanks for your help
After I’ll instal recommended software to my computer, where do I need to go to change margins in CAMOS Rx form

Thank you

fsgl wrote on Thursday, March 27, 2014:

You’re welcome.

There are two downloads for the tool. Be certain that you have the one without the watermark. You will be able to tell the difference upon deployment of the tool. I’m 95% certain that I gave you the correct download link.

Provide a mockup in the form of a screenshot and we’ll go from there. We have only the rx pads for handwritten scripts in our office. We’ve never ordered the blanks for the printer, therefore I need to take a look at your mockup.

I understand about this tool will help me to make changes in PDF files. But how can I get there inside the CAMOS Rx file to make changes in margins. If Rx is a PDF file, where is it located to go there and make a changes.

fsgl wrote on Friday, March 28, 2014:

Notes can be printed in .pdf or HTML in CAMOS. Unfortunately the .pdf option is not available for scripts.

A user is left with the necessity of a HTML to .pdf conversion, using a tool such as this.

1. Write 4 scripts in CAMOS.
  2. Select the 4 scripts. See first attachment.
  3. Convert HTML (see second attachment) to .pdf.
  4. Open PDFill version 10.0, Tool 4 to rotate and crop. Cropping will adjust
    margins.
  5. Save rotated and cropped image.
  6. Print.

E-prescribe requires far less effort.

blankev wrote on Friday, March 28, 2014:

Change RX.css layout defaults, somewhere hidden in the CAMOS file and Forms devision… and print in portrait and not in landscape.

fsgl wrote on Friday, March 28, 2014:

An alternative is to set up a template with 1-4 scripts in the portrait format. This is a new module which becomes available in 4.1.3. Experimentation can be done in this Demo. See this thread for details.

The new module will obviate the need for the 2 above cited tools because all customizations will be done in LibreOffice Writer prior to import into OpenEMR.

fsgl wrote on Saturday, March 29, 2014:

After taking a look at the blanks, there appears to be another major obstacle. Whether its the 1 out 4 or the 4 out of 4 blanks, the perimeters can’t be adjusted.

If the blanks had no pre-printed internal borders, the first solution would work. It would even work with printing the HTML image in portrait mode if the blanks had no fixed borders. See attachment. The bisecting lines represent pre-set boundaries. Image file of the actual blanks was not attached because the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement would probably have a coronary.

The only way to get around this hurdle is to use Rod’s template if printing is mandatory.

A low tech solution would be stamping the pre-printed (4.25" x 5.5") pads for commonly used meds; i.e., one for Depakote, one for Dilantin, etc.; until the transition has been made to e-prescribe. This method is less expensive than the cost of printer ink cartridges.

blankev wrote on Saturday, March 29, 2014:

The instructions for the Rx printing in CAMOS state: “it should be printed in Landscape”. if you take a look at Preview print it is clear why. The Rx are designed to print in Landscape style.

The call for printing goes through:

(...... is all the files that precede the RX.CSS,

For the Demo it is the following Map: …/openemr/interface/forms/CAMOS/rx_print.php)

To make myself clear:

RX.CSS is hidden somewhere in the Interface Form CAMOS-Directory/Map.

In any plain text editor you can make changes to the file RX.CSS and save it for printing in portrait style. If you feel uncomfortable changing files in The OpenEMR Directory or even worse you are not allowed to see or handle to individual *.php files, you might have to ask a Developer.

If you have rights to work on the specific files, I could give you a hand. I did it with good results, but that was some time ago. If you made the changes, don’t forget to print in portrait style.

If you do it correct you only have to do it once. Unless you do a clean new install so it is nice to make a backup of the Directory, before and after.

ecavalier wrote on Sunday, March 30, 2014:

Thank you for your recommendations guys. I was wandering if there any regular settings to change printing layouts for Rx prescriptions. I changed margins in Rx settings but it doesn’t work to.
I think this preference very important for EMR users, because all of Rx laser prescriptions forms designed for portrait mode printing.

fsgl wrote on Sunday, March 30, 2014:

According to this website there are only 2 states in the Union which require the 4.25" (horizontal) x 5.5" (vertical) rx pads, namely New Jersey and New York. See attachment for NJ.

The other 48 states, the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories and Canada permit both the 5.5" (horizontal) x 4" (vertical) format and the above format. See attachment for CA.

New York is effectively demanding that an OpenEMR user fit a square peg into a round hole.

Additionally, New York is the only state that requires the acquisition of blanks from them exclusively (but they do supply blanks, free of charge). Albany marches to the beat of a different drummer, (H1N1 mandatory vaccination of all hospital workers, at a time of shortage for patients).

The problem does not lie with OpenEMR but with the location of the practice. On the positive side, the location is in a culturally diverse and vibrant area, which should compensate for bureaucratic inconveniences.

Because it’s unclear when 4.1.3 will be available, would suggest familiarity with e-Prescribe because the mandate goes into effect for controlled substances at the end of this year and in March 2015 for all drugs.

markleeds wrote on Wednesday, April 02, 2014:

fsgl: Would the 4.25"x5.5" blank be printed on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper or fed individually into the printer? Either way, ezPDF, the PDF module used in OpenEMR, is definitely capable of handling it. Many printers can handle the small sheets. The Epson XP-200, for example, works fine. It is one of the less expensive models sold in Target. Some printers do not handle them well. If they are triplicate forms, I don’t know how you would do that. Maybe check eBay for a daisy wheel printer. That would be interesting to try and see if it works or if the paper jams.

fsgl wrote on Wednesday, April 02, 2014:

The format in CAMOS and in the Prescription Module prints only in the 5.5" x 4" format.

A New York user would have to go into the codes to re-configure the format, use Rod’s Templates, write the rx by hand or e-Prescribe.

Our office e-prescribes exclusively. I cannot recall the last time I wrote a script for a controlled substance. The last time I wrote a script by hand was last year. If an actual script is needed, I write faster than the Epson XP-200 prints.

blankev wrote on Wednesday, April 02, 2014:

Triplicate forms are handled like:

Hit Hit Hit, three times hit the print button. Most printers can handle the abuse of printing three times by hitting the same button. These days they have also the print queue so you don’t have to wait till the first one is printed.