New Mobile API

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, September 29, 2015:

mi-squared is starting a project to develop an ground up API for mobile devices. All GPL new code. I’ll be putting some high level design and development thoughts and criteria up soon.

All the code will be donated back to OEMR

Are there members of the community that would like to participate? We will need devs, users, testers, documentation etc …

Basic Mission:

Making sure we are using OpenEMR services and database as provided and supported by the open-emr.org community. The API is intended for Mobile Devices:

Goals

• A modern flexible mobile UI development framework
  • A clean RESTful API to access OpenEMR data remotely (no data stored on the mobile)
  • Use pluggable middleware to transform incoming requests and outbound requests, facilitating authentication
  • An attractive new framework and development experience to bring new contributors into the project
  • Avoid the proliferation of solutions developed in the contributor’s favorite tool-du-jour. Allowing a much shorter ramp up for new developers.

Basic Tools:
* Laravel Framework for the backend services

–Tony

teryhill wrote on Tuesday, September 29, 2015:

I can help where needed.

Terry

sunsetsystems wrote on Tuesday, September 29, 2015:

That would imply use of a web browser on the mobile device. Is this a common framework for mobile applications? What successful services use it? What limitations will you encounter? For example, say you want to photograph a document and send it to the server… will that be awkward?

Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, September 29, 2015:

All good questions and all part of normal HTML5 mobile development. WMT actually already does the “send a photo” to openemr now via iPhones with a simple server side java script, for example.

API backend will be designed to allow native apps to use it as well. HTML browser based development is the fastest and most cross platform model.

As an example ReactJS is what Facebook uses for their mobile browser client… I think they are pretty successful.

Bootstrap is by Twitter … also successful.

sunsetsystems wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

Thanks Tony. Facebook and Twitter both want you to install their native apps, but their web sites do look good on my phone. Re sending photos, I was asking more about what the user has to do and how easy that is.

Rod

mdsupport wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

I would suggest breaking this into two separate projects. There would be less debate about “clean RESTful API” to access OpenEMR data remotely. In fact if HL7v3 standards are followed, lot of analysis efforts can be minimized and integration with other systems will be simplified. You can count us in for this part.
Only concern regarding the backend is that the standard codebase is fast becoming really rich with implementation of all known frameworks.

About the frontend and the helper libraries, the forum is littered with lot of false starts - mainly because of the rewrite efforts involved. So it may be best to run the two projects in parallel.

csechrist wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

Sechrist Healthcare Solutions would be happy to help where you need us!
Cam
Sechrist Healthcare Solutions

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

Keep it coming … :slight_smile:

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

just like any phone app, select the location to store it, click the pic ICON, approve. Or the reverse. Facebook and Twitter web pages do that. Standard interface, no new coding needed

growlingflea wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

The neat thing about boot strap is that is is easy to use and there are lots of examples for people who have no experieince with it. Bootstrap allows the flexibility of working with different sized screens which are easily tested by altering the size of the browser. The docs are pretty good too, better than average.

arnabnaha wrote on Wednesday, September 30, 2015:

Can help as a tester on Android Platform.

robertovasquez wrote on Sunday, October 04, 2015:

Hi Forum
This Mobile api project will begin after the OpenEMR Accounting Upgrade Project is finished ?

tmccormi wrote on Monday, October 05, 2015:

The people that were going to fund the accounting project pulled out. Find me some new funders $30K-$100K ( or someone out there that has done it) or someone with an available programmer to volunteer a lot of time, and it will be back on.

We can only work on what we have resources to do.

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, October 08, 2015:

This is interesting…

Final Stage 3 Rule Pits APIs against Patient Portals | HDM Top Stories

Will APIs Replace Patient Portals in Stage 3 Meaningful Use? | HDM Top Stories

Publisher and Editor-in-Chief
Open Health News
117 Davis Avenue SW
Leesburg, VA 20175
(571) 217-6921
ramaduro@openhealthnews.com
www.openhealthnews.com
Twitter: @ramaduro
SkypeID: ramaduro

sunsetsystems wrote on Thursday, October 08, 2015:

Interesting. Does the rule reference any specific technical definition of “API”?

I find it troubling to mandate providers to have their patient information repositories accept connections directly from the internet. Hackers will have a field day with this.

Rod

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, October 08, 2015:

It’s much easier to secure an API than a website accessed via a portal by a long shot. Good API design will have token keys that are generated and required for access that are much harder to hack.

That said crooks are hard to keep up with no matter what you do…

csechrist wrote on Friday, October 09, 2015:

Hi Tony,
Can you send me an email at csechrist@sechristhealthcare.com I may be able to help with development of that.
Thanks Cam

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, November 03, 2015:

We have a Web app and API we are working on that is an open source project. It is NOT specifically OpenEMR related, though it will be interfaced to OpenEMR toward the end of the project, however it IS being used to test out the tools sets we would like to be using for the Mobile OpenEMR API:

Laravel Framwork
Lumen Framework (mini sub set of Laravel)
ReactJS and Bootstrap
Eloquent ORM

It is a Volunteer Event registration portal.

Feel free to take a look, contribute or just let us know what you think.

–Tony

mdsupport wrote on Tuesday, November 03, 2015:

Are there any setup insttructions? Just high level steps would do.

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, November 03, 2015:

We are working on that. I’ll see if I can get Aron to scratch something
up… Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

Tony McCormick, CTO

Support: 866-735-0897, Direct: 713-574-6709
My Calendar: http://bit.ly/XznvDo
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the
dreamer of improbable dreams.” — The Doctor, Season 6

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM, MD Support mdsupport@users.sf.net wrote:

Are there any setup insttructions? Just high level steps would do.

New Mobile API
https://sourceforge.net/p/openemr/discussion/oemr_501c3/thread/95c2bd69/?limit=50#f70e/b5c2

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
https://sourceforge.net/p/openemr/discussion/oemr_501c3/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

Please be aware that e-mail communication can be intercepted in
transmission or misdirected. Please consider communicating any sensitive
information by telephone. The information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential. If you are NOT the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately with a copy to hipaa-security@mrsb-ltd.com and
destroy this message.