New git branches not reflected in the UI folllowing docker devlopment-easy

We have set up two local development environments.
The first a Proxmox vm running ubunu 22.04 and the other a wsl envirorment. Both of these environment are running a clone of the forked repo from openemr/openemr. Two developers are pushing and pulling to the origin (the fork). A third environment exists for the ‘server’ running on aws which is intended to be for production.

On all environments, we are using docker-compose at ~/Repos/openemr/docker/development-easy. On the aws server I can push/pull to/from origin but the problem I am struggling with is I cannot see the changes running in the UI at localhost:8300.

I was able to (1) build a new openemr docker image that copies the local files at ~/Repos/openemr/ to the openemr container at /var/www/localhost/htdocs/openemr and then (2) put this new image in the docker-compose.yml and then run docker compose up successfully but the changes still did not show in the UI.

When changing git branches I cannot see this reflected in the UI. Does ths have anythig to do with the openemr/opoenemr:flex image?

i don’t know if it helps to describe what i do? - have a local development environment, set up from a fork of openemr/openemr on github, and also use docker/development-easy/docker-compose. it runs on opensuse linux. the UI runs from a link to http://localhost:8300/

my mode of working is to make a git branch, checkout the branch, make code changes. These are then reflected in the UI, usually without having to take the docker processes down and up again. I can then push these up to my github repo. We also run a testing environment where i simply copy changed files (php, js or whatever) and the UI reflects these changes.

i have never put an image in docker-compose.yml, so i’m not sure how to do this, nor what effect it would have.

possibly one thing to do, although you’ve probably done this, is to check that the source code files on the server, from which the UI is running, are the changed files - i.e. the git branch has been checked out as an example, or the changes have been pushed, then pulled from your fork?

That’s a bit odd as the development-easy docker is set to sync the local filesystem changes. I know my test server is running on AWS off the development-easy and the file changes when switching branches is pretty much instantaneous.

Is the problem only occurring on AWS, or do you your local developers see this problem as well when running off the fork?

Hello Ruth

Thank you, So the openemr container can run smoothly without you having to run docker compose down; docker compose up --build -d each time.

I did manage to checkout one branch and see the changes in the UI, so I am guessing my problem is within the git workflow which you described.

Hello Stephen

I take it that the openemr/epenemr:flex image will reflect changes in the UI when you run git checkout or do a git merge to the default branch.

I think the problem is when running off the fork, and right now this is only done on the aws server.

On the aws server I got no changes reflected in the UI from:
git remote -b
git checkout main
git fetch origin/main; git merge origin/main or
git pull origin as I was expecting.

from CONTRIBUTING.md

yes charles, that’s right - in general i use a simple ‘docker-compose up’ ,

i.e.
cd openemr/docker/development-easy
docker-compose up
… test the ui, make changes to the source code or branch, test again …

and on the whole it works really well - even updating from the remote master. Now and again i do use docker-compse down when i need to, of course.