New EHR clinic in Louisiana

Hello everyone, I’m the I.T. guy for a new addictions clinic in Louisiana. The clinic staff have some questions that I can’t answer (lack of knowledge) that are in general for every system they are thinking about using. I’m hoping someone here can guide me in a general direction for there questions and help me setup a server for them if they choose this route.
Must be HIPPA compliant in Louisiana for medicaid.
Billing/scrubbing/clearing house process, separate or included.
ASAM must be included(I know I’m forgetting other forms.)
My questions:
I want to use a linux server to keep everything onsite (no longer trust cloud servers.)
Is it possible for the users to keep the database on a local system and access the user data offline (encrypted) and then sync when they go back online, Katrina and now Michael are concerns.

Hi John,

• Yes, OpenEMR can be used in a HIPAA-compliant workflow.
  • You can generate x12 files for billing purposes
  • I am not familiar with ASAM forms but we have a built-in form creator so anything you need, you can create easily.
  • OpenEMR can be used on-site or in the cloud
  • No, it is not possible for users to keep the database on a local system and access the user data offline. Unfortunately, having an on-site server versus mitigation of disaster by using a cloud service can be a tough rope to walk.

One possible solution for you is using OpenEMR Cloud. This is the same software that would be run on-premise, but it’s run from an AWS account you control (You pay AWS directly, you control what kind of servers, how many, what configuration, etc. Several of the cloud flavors are still HIPAA-friendly and I would argue are safer than an on-premise server. See https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/AWS_Cloud_Packages_Comparison for more info.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

John,
Your question is very valid. In fact, a similar situation, that is - a group of doctors went for some sort of medical camp, where there is no internet and they have to service the community for a week or so and then come back to the mother ship (or home town) and sync the data when they are online.

One has to write/cutomize some sort of “sync” script to make this work

Best,
ViSolve.

1 Like