Max Records in patient_data table

This is more of a report than a request for help. It is to document what I have run into again. I have just upgraded from 4.2.2 and the patient_data table has 25113 records. When they try to create a new patient with the native code there is an error thrown by the database that says there is a duplicate record 10000.

To fix this issue, I changed the code from this.

$result = sqlQuery(“SELECT MAX(pid)+1 AS pid FROM patient_data”);

$newpid = 1;

if ($result[‘pid’] > 1) $newpid = $result[‘pid’];

To this:

$result = sqlQuery(“SELECT id AS pid FROM patient_data ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1”);
$newpid = 1;

if ($result[‘pid’] > 1) $newpid = $result[‘pid’] + 1; //Changed by Sherwin

setpid($newpid);

There seems to be a limit as to how many records the MAX(pid)+1 can read. It always stops at 10000.

Hi,
I was unable to find a MAX limit in mysql/mariadb docs. Super odd. The fix seems reasonable(although it will break if there is 1 patient :slight_smile: ).

should likely look something like this(note the change from 1 to 0):
$result = sqlQuery("SELECT id AS pid FROM patient_data ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1"); $newpid = 1; if ($result['pid'] > 0) $newpid = $result['pid'] + 1; //Changed by Sherwin

Can you place this fix on github?
-brady

Sure, I will work something up for 1 patient. This is an example of replying without reading and comprehending what was in the previous message. :grinning:

1 Like

Note my example above should fix the 1 patient issue.

Here is the new pull request.

I want to see if I can replicate this before the fix gets into the codebase

nice @robert.down ,

This will be a good testcase your demo data generator:

-brady

I tried, but apparently there’s a problem with the demo data generator - I can’t generate that many accounts at one time. For whatever reason it errors out at around ~500 iterations

This error only happens if there are more than 10000 records in the patient data table. The user is a multi-doctor practice so most solo and practices with under that number won’t experience this issue.

It seems as though MAX() is a summing tool:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/group-by-functions.html#function_max

I posted this question on stackoverflow.com
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/44085332/does-maxexpr-have-a-limit

Hi,

I would be ok bringing this fix into the codebase(rather than wait too long for somebody else to confirm this). @juggernautsei is definitely having issues with this and I don’t think the fixed code solution is inferior to the original code solution (they are both a bit awkward :slight_smile: ).

-brady

I agree they are a both seem to not be needed since the database could take care of this itself with auto increment. However, I received responses to my stack overflow question and the respondent posted this:

Please be careful. You are trying to use a method for assigning id values that are notorious for working correctly during development and test, then failing – with user data loss – in production. Because: race conditions. Please edit your question to present the output of SHOW CREATE TABLE patient_data, then pay attention to the answers you get. – O. Jones 22 hours ago

This could be one of those things that get refactored in the code base modernization project.

@juggernautsei ,

The id (note not the PID) field is using autoincrement and can’t have more than 1 of these in a table(see 2nd answer on this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13642915/mysql-table-with-more-than-one-auto-incremented-column).

It’s currently a bit messy since in theory if 2 users tried to insert new patient’s at the exact same time, 1 may error out. This is likely why there was the following commented out code block there:
// here, we lock the patient data table while we find the most recent max PID // other interfaces can still read the data during this lock, however // sqlStatement("lock tables patient_data read");

Would be interested if there were any opinions on this issue by others?

thanks,
-brady