Looking at OpenEMR and need help

Hello,

I’m on the Board of an organization called Christian Medical Ministry to Cambodia / Jeremiah’s Hope (CMMCJH). We provide medical support for the needy and less fortunate. Our organization has several different teams, (ENT, General Surgery, Orthopedic, OB & Cardiac teams.) that make yearly trips over to Cambodia. We have established a clinic over there and is fully staffed with Doctors & Nurses that we have sponsored their education and training.

We have struggled with the EHR/EMR records for the last few years. We have tried the OpenMRS, & most recently Practice Fusion. We need to be able to find a system that will be around for a long time and that is not going to be too hard to manage.

Right now we have around 600 patients in the Practice Fusion that I’m in the process of exporting into a CCD file. We have another 1500 or more paper charts that we never got to scan into a system.

Will the OpenEMR Express Cloud be able to handle this amount of users? I’m really not sure how this AWS stuff works. Will all the physicians from the US be able to login and see the patients that are setup for surgery before the arrive in Cambodia? Around how much will it cost to host this at AWS /month? What about updates to the OpenEMR? how hard is that to do remotely?

I know this is a lot to ask, so sorry, but I’m just needing help finding a permanent solution for our needs in Cambodia.

Thank you,

Amory

Hello, Amory.

Why not find out? We quote monthly prices, but cloud services bill by the hour – price out something that fits your budget, build it, try it out, see how it holds up. Then delete it all while you think it over and explore other options. An entire workday’s experiment could cost you less than a dollar.

I’ve got a new version of OpenEMR in Amazon’s pipeline right now that will allow substantially more powerful database and instance types than the current version of Standard – vendors wanted more horsepower than I’d guessed – but you could start experimenting with locally-hosted virtual appliances right now, if you want to see how well OpenEMR handles your PracticeFusion export.