Loading ICD-10 in OSX install of OpenEMR 5.0.0

My initial attempt to load the ICD-10 codes (Administration/Other/External Data Loads) in my OpenEMR 5.0.0 install on a mac running OSX 10.11.6 did not work.

Then I went to Administration/Globals/Miscellaneous and noted that the default path to Temp files was a site that really only made sense on a Windows system.

I changed this path to C:/xampp/xamppfiles/temp, and restarted XAMPP.

After that change, the ICD-10 data upload worked. Happy days . . . .

2 Likes

Prior to this change in path, I had tried an approach that worked great in loading ICD-10 codes into 4.2.2 on an OSX 10.9.6 system, including logging into terminal as root [“sudo -i”] and then running the command “chmod -R 777 /var/folders”. (Thank you, go wepp)

But in OSX 10.11.6, this command failed. To wit:

chmod -R 777 /var/folders

Last login: Sat Mar 25 18:40:19 on console
PAULs-Mac-mini:~ server$ sudo -i

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type “man sudo” for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

PAULs-Mac-mini:~ root# chmod -R 777 /var/folders
chmod: Unable to change file mode on /var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/PKInstallSandboxManager-SystemSoftware: Operation not permitted

That was a blind alley for me, as I’m not savvy with these matters. So I trolled the internet on the topic of chmod not working, and as a hail Mary I tried another command someone suggested:

chflags nouchg /path/to/item

And I unhid the var and var/folders folders and checked to see if they were locked. (they weren’t).

None of these things seemed to work. But then I reset the temp pathway as described above, and restarted the machine, and the External Upload miraculously occurred.

I say miraculously because the next day I did a fresh install of OSX 10.11.6 on a different machine (partly because I had no idea what chflags nouchg /var/folders had done to my system), reinstalled the entire XAMPP for OSX and OpenEMR 5.0.0, and set the temp pathways as described above. And it DID NOT WORK. i couldn’t get the ICD-10 to upload on that fresh install.

So I’m using the first installation, putting it onto my production machine by cloning the entire hard drive with the working installation over to that machine.

My problem is solved for the moment, but I’d put the event right up there with the loaves and fishes. I don’t think that the “solution” I describe 2 days ago is actually a reliable solution, and the difficulties in uploading ICD-10 on an OSX XAMPP setup continue to be an unresolved problem.

Hi,

I’ve been working with a new developer whom is using OSX and there seem to be weird things with setting permissions. For example, when using chmod -R 666 or 777 etc for installs of OpenEMR, it doesn’t seem to work and instead need to do chmod -R a+w. Curious if doing that in your temp dir will get things going.

-brady
OpenEMR

I’m curious about that too, Brady, now that you tell me about it. My problem is solved for the moment, so I’m unlikely to try out a fresh install on a third drive to test it right now. But the next time I have an issue with an upload I’ll give it a try.