LBF Clinic Note Conditional formatting

So we have been adapting Open EMR to be used within our multidisciplinary pediatric speech/communication organization. I’ve had great luck so far, but seem to have run into a wall.

We see patients for up to 6 years. Every year, we create goals and objectives which are custom to each child. I have done this by creating Year 1 - 6 G&A Tabs within the patient demographic form as you can see here.

Now for the problem i’m trying to solve :slight_smile:

I have created a LBF Clinic Note for the therapists to use so that they can visually see the goals that have been set for the child and mark their mastery level if that goal was worked on during said session.

If this was a one year program that would be great! But it’s up to a 6 year program. I’m trying to basically come up with a way to allow the therapist to fill out the top section of the note first, and then it load the goals and objectives for that patient based off of the school year that is selected by the therapist.

Any ideas how I may accomplish this without having to create a Year 1 - Year 6 LBF?

Thanks so much!
@gutiersa

1 Like

Hmm, this is a really interesting and really well developed LBF (IMHO, I am still trying to figure out the use and flexibility of LBF’s)

Yes, I have an idea, conditional formatting can be done at the right hand side of each field under the ? column. See this thread entry:

I am not sure how the logic of your form flows yet, but if you click on the “?” column of the fields in the top section/group of the form. What do you think?

I am also thinking that you may not be maximizing the usefulness of “Lists”. I am thinking that you can create lists such as: objectives, first grade objectives, second grade objectives, etc. Within each list you can include fields, for example:

Objectives:
   preK
   first grade
   second grade
   third grade

then subsequent lists:

PreK objectives:
   Obj1
   Obj2
   Obj3
   Obj4

FirstGrade objectives:
   Obj1
   Obj2
   Obj3
   Obj4

SecondGrade objectives:
   Obj1
   Obj2
   Obj3
   Obj4

And so on and so forth.

Your LBF field would then link to the lists.

Finally, if you see kids, that means you are using encounters/visits? I would not modify the dashboard, I would just create a new LBF form, named for example “LBFProgress” specifically for the purpose of the visits/evaluations. When the kid is seen, create an encounter and open the LBFProgress and document the information there. That way you have the flow of the child’s progress documented. These forms can then be shown in the patient landing page, such as vitals form, for example.

Thanks for the question.
Sandra

Oh believe me, I tried to standardize Goals and Objectives, but with the demographic served here it’s simply not possible. Kids range from mild to severe and everything in between with hearing, visual, cognitive, etc issues. The goals and objectives are populated from the demographic form into the LBF and are not editable within the LBF so that the therapists are ranking mastery on the specific goal in their chart.

BlockquoteI am not sure how the logic of your form flows yet, but if you click on the “?” column of the fields in the top section/group of the form. What do you think?

Ahhh so the way i’m looking at it, I could create a giant LBF with all of the tabs of the school year. and where cog_1_1 would be cognitive goal 1 year 1 would show hrmmmm based off of the school year selected? that gets tricky though. I could instead of put school year just use year 1, year 2, year 3, etc for my school year selection and hide all fields that dont pertain to that year maybe

1 Like

You could also create a custom LBF plugin to support the form.
Look here for examples in code. sites/default/LBF

I am still not able to visualize (my brain works with images) what your progress note is about. If you were able to make up some samples, I could give you better ideas. But be sure it is on a test patient, not a real patient.

Also, yes, in a clinic database, the lists section can get quite large.

Take a look at Nationt Notes (NN). Nation notes are already embedded within LBF. If you double click on any and all textarea type field, the nation notes editor opens up with tons of other options. In other words, you need not create a separate field for every single measure.

This may be a classic use for orders & observations. Configuring the catalog may need bit more effort but then you would have the ability to create multiple observations.

2 Likes