Lab tests results qr code

it would be nice if we could have an API for lab clinics to use so we could import data from lab tests and use them to generate INFORMATION, as well to avoid re typing. DRY philosophy :grin:
I am sorry if it is already implemented.

1 Like

Andre,

As you probably know, OpenEMR supports labs via a push/pull mechanism:

Did you have luck in setting this up?

If more capabilities are required, you can setup Mirth Connect (https://www.nextgen.com/Interoperability/Mirth-Solutions/Connect-Overview) to sit between a system and OpenEMR. It will allow you to send well-formed HL7/DICOM information in whatever format you’d like to OpenEMR. Note that this requires coding and an understanding of how to store data in OpenEMR. If this approach interests you, I’m sure other users could benefit from documentation.

-m

1 Like

as soon as I get home I’ll check! ty for reply!

1 Like

I don`t know if I got it, Matthew.
Let me give you a use case:

the patient comes to my office with a blood test from a ramdom laboratory, on a paper. this paper has a QR code that a use to scan the results and transpond them to the oemr.

Andre,

As with most things in the healthcare IT world, if there’s no standard around it, EMRs won’t understand it. I don’t think such a QR system you describe exists. Only way to get the information in is via DICOM/HL7 (digital).

This is unfortunate! It would be great if there were a way to format all lab information into a code for scanning, but that would need a working committee, gov’t buy-in, and major industry utilization (think about the big lab companies implementing it).

Thanks,
Matthew

not all labs. major ones only :grin:
but I understand that what I am asking is way to far for now :sweat_smile:
ty for the reply anyway

I see. You have great intentions with your suggestion, but this one is an issue outside of our software. I’m sure you can see that many actors would need to be involved.

However, in the spirit of being practical, here are two possible solutions for the short term:

1. Work with the patient’s lab provider to pull the data to OpenEMR (easiest solution).
  2. Work with the patient to ask their lab to export and give a print out of the raw DICOM / HL7 data. You can scan this information and use an Optical Character Recognition utility to get the raw text. From there, you’ll want to send the information to Mirth Connect and then to a custom PHP script in your OpenEMR install. (difficult and somewhat crazy solution).

-m

1 Like

from the point ‘there are no dumb questions’:

Work with the patient’s lab provider to pull the data to OpenEMR (easiest
solution).

in order to pull the data, does OpenEMR already offers an API or webform to
make it happen? because, if it does, at least here in my town, I can get
one or two labs doing it

Yes,

Please look into the following resources:

-m

1 Like