Insurance profile

mishik27 wrote on Wednesday, November 20, 2013:

Does OpenEMR allows to store a multiple insurance profiles for a patient?

A lot of people in USA have rather fluid insurance coverage, so insurance situation gets changed pretty often over the time.

If I need to re-bill a patient for a past visit I need to modify insurance information back to what it was at the date of service to be re-billed or it somehow remembers the coverage?

mdsupport wrote on Wednesday, November 20, 2013:

You record changes to insurance status with effective date so EMR uses appropriate insurance for a given date. In demographics you will see the historical insurance data.

mishik27 wrote on Wednesday, November 20, 2013:

So if I need to modify/fix errors and re-bill an old claim the system will know to use historical insurance data?

visolveemr wrote on Wednesday, November 20, 2013:

Hi,
Yes, It will take the old insurance automatically with respect to the service date.
If you change your Primary Insurance, the previous insurance will be saved as Primary Old in OpenEMR. So when you modify and re-bill an old claim it will take the insurance accordingly.

Thanks
OpenEMR Customization/Support provider,
ViSolve Inc
services@visolve.com

This is quite an old thread and I can’t find anything recent but it appears that in the current version of OpenEMR (v5.0) that history is not maintained on patient insurance providers.

Is this true or am I just missing the magic button that accesses this information?

Thanks,
Kyle

hi, it’s somewhat maintained by changing the effective date; it’s a tad bit confusing since there will be Primary (Old) and Secondary (Old) and when you go to edit you will only be able to work on the effective ins

Thanks for the reply… Can you walk me through the exact use case to test this (i.e. what buttons to click)?

When I tried changing the effective data and insurance company to simulate new coverage, it simply overwrites the Primary entry in the “insurance_data” table and there is nothing in the GUI that indicates “old”…

it’s really basic, you have an old insurance that was effective say 01-01-2015 and you add a new ins that is effective today, see here http://demo.openemr.io/b/openemr/interface/login/login.php?site=default
under phil belford

the unassigned ins category is not treated like an ins co

OK - I definitely see what you are talking about on the demo site but I’m not sure how to make that happen. If I change the data it just changes the data…

what are the effective dates?

I added one for 1/1/2018 then repaced it with one that has a date of 2/1/2018 (see previous post).

Then I replaced it again with a new insurance with effective date 3/1/2018.

In each case it just overwrites the previous insurance information. Is there a different approach to ADD insurance vs EDIT insurance? All I see is the EDIT button then I can chance the info and SAVE…

Thanks.

I figured this out by reading the code finally.

There is a check in the code to see if an encounter exists BEFORE the new effective date. If not then the new insurance information simply overwrites the old. Only if an encounter exists already will it add a new insurance.
That’s why it wasn’t working for me. It’s too smart.

2 Likes

BTW - my wife is the real insurance expert and she has explained that we also need to add insurance “cases”.

The simplest example is a Workers Comp claim. You have your regular old insurance still but you need to be able to submit claims to your WC insurance for work related injuries, etc.

So now you may have multiple “primary” insurances that are all active and you need to be able to select which one to use on a given encounter.

For now the only way I can think of to solve this is to duplicate patient accounts for the different cases anytime you need a different insurance other than your primary.

good pts, it’s been a while since this gap analysis, https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/File:OpenEMR-PracticeMgmt-Developement.pdf, was conducted and i think the work comp/accident scenario wasn’t addressed