Installing Updated ICD10 codes

Hello all,

I am interested in installing the latest and greatest ICD10 codes into my OpenEMR 5.0 system. According to the “External Database Import Utility”, the staged files are: 2017-GEM-DC.zip, 2017-GEM-PCS.zip, 2017-ICD10-Code-Descriptions.zip, and 2017-PCS-Long-Abbrev-Titles.zip. And according to some posts on this forum, the best site to get the newest files from is: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/2017-ICD-10-CM-and-GEMs.html. I am not sure how the Zip files map over to the staged files that are already in OpenEMR.

2017 General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs) – Diagnosis Codes [ZIP, 1MB] = 2017-GEM-DC.zip
2017 Code Tables and Index [ZIP, 20MB] = ?

How do the files map over from the site to what OpenEMR says?

hi, the 4 files you need to place in the contrib/icd10 folder are in step 3 here

Thank you!

Can you explain what all the other files are for? I ended up having to go to two different links, each had 2 files that were on the list. Then there are added codes and errata. Also: where do the hash values come from in the SQL Insert statement?

2 files are here

and 2 files are here

hi @growlingflea, good questions, first for the errata it would be a manual process to go edit the codes in the database like for 2018 there was 1 change

UPDATE icd10_dx_order_code SET short_desc= “Left ovarian pregnancy with intrauterine pregnancy”,long_desc= “Left ovarian pregnancy with intrauterine pregnancy” WHERE dx_code = “O00212”

the hash values are md5sum ed values of the files, like

$ md5sum /var/www/html/openemr/contrib/icd10/2018-ICD-10-Code-Descriptions.zip
6f9c77440132e30f565222ca9bb6599c /var/www/html/openemr/contrib/icd10/2018-ICD-10-Code-Descriptions.zip

you could also get these files from the code base directory instead,

openemr/contrib/icd10 at master · openemr/openemr · GitHub

am not sure if anyone is using the procedure coding system but it will support institutional billing

the gems are required by the upgrade code but don’t think they are utilized and a recent change to the process is here to help ignore the addenda since the revision method just installs of the active codes in the table which handles the additions, deletions and addenda

all the other files should have a readme inside of the zip

Great Thanks!!!

So I found that we have a missing ICD10 code F42.4. I tried adding using the following files:

2018-ICD-10-Addendum.zip
2018_ICD-10-PCS-Addendum.zip

and using the following SQL

INSERT INTO supported_external_dataloads (load_type, load_source, load_release_date, load_filename, load_checksum) VALUES (“ICD10”, “CMS”, “2017-10-01”, “2018-ICD-10-Addendum.zip”, “bdf656fecaaa6b76c6d33af05aec1f2c”);

Then going through the same process I did to update the 2018 ICD codes. Am I missing something?
INSERT INTO supported_external_dataloads (load_type, load_source, load_release_date, load_filename, load_checksum) VALUES (“ICD10”, “CMS”, “2017-10-01”, “2018_ICD-10-PCS-Addendum.zip”, “9a01ff04dc2baa6198513ce252ac2136”);

recommend emptying the icd10_dx_order_code table and redoing the external data load

I emptied my local instance of the icd10_dx_order_cde and ran the script. While am getting the waiting bar I checked the process list in mySQL and nothing is running: I let it run for about 30 minutes and checked the table and its not getting written to.

I then checked the apache error.log file and received the following FATAL error

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class ‘ZipArchive’ not found in /var/www/html/openemr-500/library/standard_tables_capture.inc:61\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/html/openemr-500/library/standard_tables_capture.inc(500): temp_unarchive(’/tmp/ICD10/2018…’, ‘ICD10’)\n#1 /var/www/html/openemr-500/interface/code_systems/standard_tables_manage.php(67): handle_zip_file(‘ICD10’, ‘/var/www/html/o…’)\n#2 {main}\n thrown in /var/www/html/openemr-500/library/standard_tables_capture.inc on line 61, referer: http://openemr-500/interface/code_systems/dataloads_ajax.php
[Mon Apr 23 18:23:38.917537 2018] [:error] [pid 24407] [client 127.0.0.1:42664] PHP Notice: Undefined index: debug_ssl_mysql_connection in /var/www/html/openemr-500/library/sql.inc on line 69, referer: http://openemr-500/interface/main/tabs/main.php
[Mon Apr 23 18:23:38.917596 2018] [:error] [pid 24407] [client 127.0.0.1:42664] PHP Stack trace:, referer: http://openemr-500/interface/main/tabs/main.php

Hi @growlingflea ,
Looks like you need ZipArchive. What openemr package are you using and which operating system?
-brady

I’m running several instances, but the one where I have this issue is the most up-to-date version of rel-500

Hi @growlingflea ,
Likely not related to OpenEMR, but instead related to your environment; missing the php zip package.
-brady

Ok. Here is the solution. If you are missing php-ZIP you must do the following:

Note: This is for Ubuntu 16.04 and php 7.0

Step 1: Install php-zip
sudo apt-get install php7.0-zip

Step 2: Append the following string to php.ini. Mine was located /etc/php/7.0/
extension=zip.so

Then your “Upgrade” button should disappear

Here is the link that helped me:

1 Like

Hi all. When trying to install the 2019 ICD10 codes on a test system, I got stuck when trying to do a fresh install of OpenEMR-502. There were several issues I ran into and by looking at previous threads I was able to finally be able to get the new codes. Here goes:

Initially, I had issues with importing the 2019 codes on a fresh install of rel-502. I had recently updated my PHP to version 7.3. This was working on 7.1 but it wasn’t clear what was happening I went to check my apache error log at /var/log/apache/error.log

I saw this error:

or

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class ‘ZipArchive’ not found in /var/www/html/openemr-502/library/standard_tables_capture.inc:52\nStack trace

Basically, I was missing the zip files mentioned above. I went ahead and used the command

sudo apt-get install php7.3-zip

Now when I ran the command I recevied the error

Warning: mysqli::query(): LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE forbidde or a SQL error very similar.

After doing some research I went to my

/etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini and my /etc/php/7.3/cli/php.ini and uncommented the

mysqli.allow_local_infile = On

lines and I was able to install without issue. I hope you find this helpful

1 Like