How to manage AWS Storage

How do I track the storage that my OpenEMR AWS Standard database is using? How do I query how much storage capacity is left for my instance database?
–Ralf

To see disk usage … I use the following command. Now I’m trying to figure out if /dev/xvda1 is where the database resides … it’s a little bit confusing because when I look at the RDS console, it says I have 40G of free storage available… I will reply to my message as I learn more.
df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev
tmpfs 396M 21M 375M 6% /run
/dev/xvda1 7.7G 2.6G 5.1G 34% /
tmpfs 2.0G 608K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/xvdd 40G 11G 27G 30% /mnt/docker
tmpfs 396M 0 396M 0% /run/user/1000

May I suggest to install Webmin

It is the tool I use to manage my linux box and be able to quickly assess the machine.

1 Like

Thank you! I will get it.

Also, I learned that the MySQL database for the AWS Standard Edition of OpenEMR has a separate instance with it’s own storage (40 GB I’m my case), and it appears to use this storage very efficiently from what I can tell even when encrypted (50% smaller than I expected). The database tools under the RDS section of the Amazon console is how you access this and other logs and information about the database.

@Ralf_Lukner If you are concerned with your disk usage you can setup an AWS Cloud Watch Monitor that will send you a text or email notification when you have reached a specified threshold (75% of the disk space, etc) on your RDS instances. I set that up for all of my RDS instances and highly recommend it.

I assume that AWS RDS storage monitoring requires enhanced monitoring? I couldn’t find a way to monitor storage. Anyway, enhanced monitoring is recommended so I am enabling it (it is not enabled by default). Maybe I can find the option to monitor RDS instance storage after I enable enhanced monitoring.

Thank you,

Ralf

@Ralf_Lukner I don’t think it requires enhanced monitoring but I don’t know for sure. I believe it falls under the 10 free cloud watch monitoring alerts that you get under the AWS Free Tier limits. It costs more to go beyond 10. Here is a link for what kinds of things you can monitor on RDS in your case Disk space consumption is the one you want to monitor: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/MonitoringOverview.html

You are correct! Thank you. I put a cloudwatch alarm on the database storage free <= 10 GM (25%).