HIE Connectivity/Interoperability

Greetings,

I am an independent pharmacist trying to save a profession beleaguered by predators trying to marginalize our role in healthcare. We have a relationship with a group of physicians that value our ability to aid in the care of patients but we need a cost effective technology to aid in communication. Enter OpenEMR. I would like to express a big thank you all who have contributed to the project so far.

At this point we are needing to integrate with an HIE for at a minimum submission of some form of care plans and ideally viewing data within the HIE too. I think my questions are the following but maybe I’m not even asking the right questions…

1. What info do I need from the HIE to work toward a viable solution?
  2. Is there already a solution within OpenEMR that will facilitate this “out of the box”?
  3. If a turn key solution is not really available, is there a recommended path of least resistance to accomplish our goal?

A couple of OpenEMR Contributors have advised that an approximate $50,000 investment would be required and we are no where near capable of that level for what might turn out to be a pig and a poke. We are hoping there is an alternative option that will reward some noble advisor riches in heaven.

Health and Peace,
Vince Ettare, PharmD
c)434-386-1755
vinceettare@timberlakehealth.com

I am also interested in participating with this. I am not sure if HIE connectivity is part of 2015 certification but it seems like it should be. If somebody out there knows a relatively straightforward path, I would sure love to hear it.